Hello to All -"Newbie" from NC

BThealth

I've spent several weeks reviewing the posts on the forum before finally posting and introducing myself. There's some great information and advice here. I'm hoping some of you pros can steer me in the right direction since I'm a "boomer" career changer.

I'm planning on taking the L & H exam next week and want to get off to fast start in Health insurance sales here in NC...and do it the right way.

I've got a strong work ethic, motivation and have been "running my own show" as a salesman, consultant and independent contractor (home office based) for years. Most of my work has been in consumer product sales to major retailers (Wal-Mart, Target etc). I am looking to get out of selling to that limited corporate client base ...and into individual and small biz sales of Health insurance with cross-selling of Life.

I've got a couple of questions and concerns before I make the leap into full time Health and Life sales in NC.

There was a series of posts and responses (6/07) about how difficult the health insurance market is in NC because of the dominant market share and power BCBS has in the state.

Someone even commented that you would need (now or in the near future) to be an exclusive agent offering BCBSNC or you couldn't get appointed at all.

Anyone have an update on BCBSNC and the general health insurance mkt in NC? Do you have to sign with a BCBSNC general agent or an exclusive contract to offer their plans?

I've reviewed the getting started forum and I know most newbies are encouraged to start out as a captive agent with a major ins co with a great training program. I see the logic and the value in going that route but I really want to jumpstart an independent business.

Anyone know of a NC based or NC savvy mentor who could put me on a fast track? I'll do whatever it takes to learn the plans, the carriers, prospect, make the calls, hit the street and close the sales.

Thanks in advance to all for your help and advice.

Why not work in the Senior Market???

I have a friend of mine that works for BCBS of NC.

PM me if you want his info.

I left 3 messages with the local BCBS Regional Managers over a 3 week period this past summer about getting a non-resident appointment with the company and did not hear back from them. It's sad too because the lady and I were thinking about moving to the Charlotte, NC area, but it's not a smart idea to not offer BCBS in a competitive state with good commissions. Now it looks like Columbia, SC or Savannah, GA now.

Perhaps you will have a better response from the blues down there since you live there. Definitely lets us know what you find out.

Why not work in the Senior Market???

I have a friend of mine that works for BCBS of NC.

PM me if you want his info.

InsuranceJosh,

Sorry for the long delay getting back to you (introductions forum 11/13).

You suggested getting into the Senior Market, possibly with BCBSNC.

It would be great if you could forward the contact info for your friend who works for BCBSNC

I have my NC L&H license and I'm planning on finshing up the Med/LTC course and exam in the next wk-10 days.

Any help / advice would be appreciated!

You should do well based off of what you've stated here. Being an ethical insurance agent/producer is very important. Never lower your standards as it will come back to bite you in the but (i'm sure you know this)

As you stated, you're a boomer, and one thing I learned in Sales is people like dealing with those people they can relate to. Other boomers will relate to you based on age and life experience. Stay true to yourself and whichever place you go with you will Excel rapidly!

Bhains - I absolutely love your website - very clean and professional. Welcome to the board - I lived in Vegas for 4 years - worked security at the Riv.

When you're meeting a client how you're dressed says everything. When clients visit your website that also tells them everything. Your site is absolutely a model for other agents and agencies to follow.

You should do well based off of what you've stated here. Being an ethical insurance agent/producer is very important. Never lower your standards as it will come back to bite you in the but (i'm sure you know this)

As you stated, you're a boomer, and one thing I learned in Sales is people like dealing with those people they can relate to. Other boomers will relate to you based on age and life experience. Stay true to yourself and whichever place you go with you will Excel rapidly!

Mike @ Bhains,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I agree totally with your statement and position on ethics and standards. I'll paraphrase Warren Buffett who said something like "It takes many years to build a solid reputation and about 5 minutes to make a poor choice and destroy it."

I do have a lot to offer other "boomers". I've already learned a lot of things I wish someone had told me about Life, Health and LTC insurance years ago. Haven't find a "home" yet to pick up some training but would like to focus on health and senior products (LTC, Med Supps etc).

Back