Help. AHIP Question

I'm 72 but, unlike you, don't think I have inalienable right to collect lifetime renewals unless I am available to provide real service to my clients. It's not a matter of whether they choose to call me about issues, it's a matter of whether I will help when needed. My book of business is very solid (>95% retention on MAPD business) but I am not planning on having these renewals for more than the next 7-8 years because I will no longer want to provide any service.

At the same time I think experienced agents who have consistently demonstrated an ability to pass AHIP and carrier certifications for a given number of years (5, 6, 7, or 10) should be grandfathered into their annual certifications past that point without an exam. They can be required to do the training and sign an attestation but nothing beyond that.

Thats Ridiculous the carrier is there for everyone, thats the least they can do and they already do for all ur clients. SMH

Last edited:
But not passing a ridiculous AHIP "gotcha" test doesn't mean that you can't provide quality service to your clients. It's just the way the whole slimy thing is designed. It's an obvious scam.

They know, every year, they'll be able to recoup at least 20% of the agents' business. I would also argue that they have no right to benefit from MY clients that I went out and got THEM. It's a two-way street.

I'm a younger agent, but I'm the type of guy that looks way into the future. Things definitely need to change in this business.

Learning how this AHIP test could absolutely decimate me and my business, this year, has definitely been a huge wake up call, and it should be in the front of every agents mind.

Sorry, but it's just not right.

That alot of dough to keep the slime rolling

Minimal 125.00 x 1,000,000 agent = 125,000,000 dollars to AHIP

Disgusting

Last edited:
Thats Ridiculous the carrier is there for everyone, thats the least they can do and they already do for all ur clients. SMH

You may think it's ridiculous but it's a free world and each of us is entitled to our opinions. My opinion is that I developed a book of business through lots of hard work but I didn't assume up front that all of my MAPD clients would provide renewal commissions forever.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over, we all get the message. Do you really think continuing to repeat it will influence anyone?

You may think it's ridiculous but it's a free world and each of us is entitled to our opinions. My opinion is that I developed a book of business through lots of hard work but I didn't assume up front that all of my MAPD clients would provide renewal commissions forever.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over, we all get the message. Do you really think continuing to repeat it will influence anyone?

Yup the best insurance product is one that meets the needs of the consumer and pays the agent as long as its on the books. If u didnt figure it out yet @72 yo. Im here to help the youth not so much u and I on the way out. Dont take it personally, I just think u do a disservice not pushing for change in an industry thats removing the agent with the internet and govt red tape. Just saying ur rational of quiting service of clients ridiculous is my opinion.

Last edited:
But not passing a ridiculous AHIP "gotcha" test doesn't mean that you can't provide quality service to your clients. It's just the way the whole slimy thing is designed. It's an obvious scam.

They know, every year, they'll be able to recoup at least 20% of the agents' business. I would also argue that they have no right to benefit from MY clients that I went out and got THEM. It's a two-way street.

I'm a younger agent, but I'm the type of guy that looks way into the future. Things definitely need to change in this business.

Learning how this AHIP test could absolutely decimate me and my business, this year, has definitely been a huge wake up call, and it should be in the front of every agents mind.

Sorry, but it's just not right.
I didn't say it was 'right' and suggested that experienced agent who have demonstrated consistent proficiency should get a pass.

The problems with MAPD go back about 10 years when there were so many agents door knocking seniors and lying about MAPD plans that more regulation was needed. We are all paying for the sins of that time, that's why it pisses me off beyond belief when agents use a public forum to get answers from other agents or agents take the exams for someone else.

This isn't rocket science, read the material, keep the pdf's open for each section, and read the questions carefully, that's about all you need to do. Even going slow it shouldn't take more than four hours to get a passing grade, if that isn't worth it to you then maybe it's time to find a less regulated product.

Yup the best insurance product is one that meets the needs of the consumer and pays the agent as long as its on the books. If u didnt figure it out yet @72 yo. Im here to help the youth not so much u and I on the way out. Dont take it personally, I just think u do a disservice not pushing for change in an industry thats removing the agent with the internet and govt red tape. Just saying ur rational of quiting service of clients ridiculous is my opinion.

MAPD plans didn't pay lifetime renewals until about 5 years ago, originally it was 6 years, or have you conveniently forgotten that?

UHC instituted lifetime commissions in 2014 for all enrollments with effective dates after Jan 1, 2014: https://www.nandfinc.com/lifetime-commission-renewals-for-unitedhealthcare/

You are way too old and too far into life to be this angry, particularly about something where the individual agent has so little control. Posting anonymously on a public forum isn't going to 'move the needle towards removing the annual AHIP requirement. There are some companies that don't require it-UHC allows you to do there own certification and it is much, much easier than AHIP.

MAPD plans didn't pay lifetime renewals until about 5 years ago, originally it was 6 years, or have you conveniently forgotten that?

UHC instituted lifetime commissions in 2014 for all enrollments with effective dates after Jan 1, 2014: https://www.nandfinc.com/lifetime-commission-renewals-for-unitedhealthcare/

You are way too old and too far into life to be this angry, particularly about something where the individual agent has so little control. Posting anonymously on a public forum isn't going to 'move the needle towards removing the annual AHIP requirement. There are some companies that don't require it-UHC allows you to do there own certification and it is much, much easier than AHIP.

You call it anger, I call it leading. Never been an “Yes” man. I like making a mark.

I look at some of the most successful and influential people bitching. Thats why many dont sit in the back of the bus anymore. Lots of righteousness on these blogs should try it some times. Its not about happiness its about principle. Why is the 125,000,000 minimum going to AHIP? Whos getting salary boosts at the expense of the street workers?

Maybe under the hood a revolutionary vision could grab hold of deeper issues than just following the herd to pay corporate easy $$.

Disgusting red tape

You call it anger, I call it leading. Never been an “Yes” man. I like making a mark.

I look at some of the most successful and influential people bitching. Thats why many dont sit in the back of the bus anymore. Lots of righteousness on these blogs should try it some times. Its not about happiness its about principle. Why is the 125,000,000 minimum going to AHIP? Whos getting salary boosts at the expense of the street workers?

Maybe under the hood a revolutionary vision could grab hold of deeper issues than just following the herd to pay corporate easy $$.

Disgusting red tape

Your $125M estimate of AHIP fees is absurd-there might be 1M licensed agent in the U.S. but I doubt that more than 15-20% of them do Medicare and, of that, probably at least 1/3 don't take AHIP-many of the 'Blues' require Gorman training instead and many of the Medicare agents on these forums just do Med Supps.

Enjoy your bitching, it's a hell of a way to go through your final years, I'm sure you are great fun at social gatherings.

Your $125M estimate of AHIP fees is absurd-there might be 1M licensed agent in the U.S. but I doubt that more than 15-20% of them do Medicare and, of that, probably at least 1/3 don't take AHIP-many of the 'Blues' require Gorman training instead and many of the Medicare agents on these forums just do Med Supps.

Enjoy your bitching, it's a hell of a way to go through your final years, I'm sure you are great fun at social gatherings.

Im having a ball in my later years. Thanks for the encouragement.

Any many companies pay the ahip cost. I haven’t paid for ahip in a few years. Aetna pays mine

Back