Help finding a mentor in my area

PSteve

If you were just starting out or thinking of getting into insurance sales, where would you start if you were looking to find a mentor?

Find an agency (or 5) that you would want to work for.
Start calling and setting up meetings to introduce yourself to people from that agency.
Get your license.

If you're young, ask to start as an account manager or assistant to learn the back end before selling. Everyone ALWAYS need customer service/admin help. Especially bigger agencies.

OR dive right into the lake of fire and start selling with 0 knowledge. Is realistic if you have a good mentor...

As @BADTROUT indicated - you first need to determine your focus. Once you determine that, THEN look for companies, agencies, and/or mentors.

For example: just because you have a life & health insurance license, doesn't mean you just focus on life insurance. Focus on a market. What problems does that market have and how can you help them solve them?

Lots of markets you can work with "just" a life & health insurance license:

I was just thinking... that I don't have ANY of the mentors I learned from around me. They were ALL out of state and I used virtual learning methods. Online videos, systems, tool kits, etc.

So I wouldn't put too much into finding someone local. Your best learning and mentoring opportunities may just be out of state.

Have you narrowed it down to more of the Life or Heath and ancillary insurance or the Home/Auto/Business side? You could also be a generalist and do a bit of all of the above but my advice would depend on your preferences.

I have my Health license but plan to get my Life insurance license soon because of this forum. I really want to help disabled and older folks get the best insurance possible.

Find an agency (or 5) that you would want to work for.
Start calling and setting up meetings to introduce yourself to people from that agency.
Get your license.

If you're young, ask to start as an account manager or assistant to learn the back end before selling.

While not young, I like both of the suggestions above. Thanks.

I really want to help disabled and older folks get the best insurance possible.

Don't forget that this is the insurance business, not insurance charity. Got to find quality risks acceptable to the insurance companies.

Older folks will (most likely) qualify for and buy final expense policies.

Disabled people... well, their caregivers probably need more coverage on them so that they don't dis-inherit their disabled children from government benefits.

So keep in mind: Who has the risk? and Who needs money?

Back