Help - How to proceed after being t-boned ?

4Runner05

NJ
I was in my first accident this weekend ( with my 14mo daughter in their car) and so overwhelmed on how to proceed. I was crossing over a 4 lane highway after my green light when I was hit by someone going through the red light in the 4th/last lane as I crossed over. They are at fault, admitted to running the light and 2 independent witnesses agreed. My car will most likely be totaled (4Runner did not win against a Hummer). Do I file the claim with my insurance company (Geico) or file it directly with theirs (All State)? Any pros / cons? I'm in NJ so I know medical has to go through my insurance (which I'm in the process of doing), but no clue about the actual claim on the car.

Thanks for reading and your thoughts!

You can start by calling Allstate first thing in the morning and see if you can get a claim number and an adjuster name. If Allstate will commit to your car within 24 to 48 hours you might as well let Allstate handle it.

If you don't get a commitment within 24 to 48 hours, like if they have to interview their insured, the witnesses and wait for the police report and all that, then let GEICO handle it. It'll be much faster.

When I originally called GEICO to let them know about the accident they said I had to pay my $500 deductible. Do I get that back at some point because it wasn't my fault?

Yes.

If you have GEICO take care of the claim, GEICO will seek reimbursement from the other driver's insurance company for the full amount of the claim, including the deductible, and will reimburse you the deductible when GEICO gets the money.

Back