Help in New York

My wife came to the country 7 years ago as a refugee. She has since decided that she really wants to get into selling insurance as she has a large number of "her people" (as she puts it) throughout the country who have a need for a good insurance product, but, do not trust anyone outside their circle....
She has tried applying at one agency (one of the top rated ones) who basically brushed her off saying her English was not good enough.....
She has obviously been recruited by Primerica and WFG.... However, my part time job is doing paramed exams so.... Have half a clue as to what a good company is etc.....
She is looking for a GOOD quality company where she can get training in order to get licensed.... Not get screwed with commissions etc... and is able to provide a quality product to the many people in the immediate area as well as other parts of the country....
Looking for best companies to work with... Also, obviously, good commission scales helps also.

She has tried applying at one agency (one of the top rated ones) who basically brushed her off saying her English was not good enough.....

She needs to counter with "That's the point and the idea." That could've been a test to see how she'd deal with setbacks and objections.

"They" said the same thing to Mehdi Fakharzadeh when he arrived from Iran back over 40 years ago. He is still a top producing agent in his 80's and 90's today and he's still a little difficult to understand.

Ben Feldman spoke with a lisp and set WORLD records.

I'd be looking at Penn Mutual, New York Life, Northwestern Mutual, MassMutual, and Guardian life.

She needs to counter with "That's the point and the idea." That could've been a test to see how she'd deal with setbacks and objections.

"They" said the same thing to Mehdi Fakharzadeh when he arrived from Iran back over 40 years ago. He is still a top producing agent in his 80's and 90's today and he's still a little difficult to understand.

Ben Feldman spoke with a lisp and set WORLD records.

I'd be looking at Penn Mutual, New York Life, Northwestern Mutual, MassMutual, and Guardian life.

Thank you for the advice.... Your 3rd place is the one who turned her away.... The second place... I have not met any agents yet who I would trust not to try and take leads from her (I do a good number of the parameds in the area).... Have yet to get in touch with agents from the other agencies... That was my major question was who should I reach out to next (NWM, NYL I basically already have.... Next was thinking AXA)

Btw, why are YOU the one reaching out... instead of her? This is the first sale of her career - getting hired. Don't rob her of that. Otherwise, she's going to expect that everything else will be "handed to her" and this career is FAR from that kind of environment.

Btw, why are YOU the one reaching out... instead of her? This is the first sale of her career - getting hired. Don't rob her of that. Otherwise, she's going to expect that everything else will be "handed to her" and this career is FAR from that kind of environment.

I get what you are saying completely.... I spent 10 years as a funeral home owner..... Then dabbled a little in the life insurance business as a licensed agent... Then left all of that for a completely different career.. However, now work part time (full time hours lol) doing Parameds for one of... (what appears to be called on these forums) the "big box" companies.... So culturally... she looks to my advice as to where to go... What happens once she goes is on her.... The experience with NWM... at first I did not believe, however, after listening to a couple of her phone calls and seeing some of the messages... the main reason for not wanting to bring her on was the perceived lack of English skills...
So.. Basically... I'm looking to where may be a better fit for the next place I suggest she invest in trying out.... I have not even looked into pay structures etc... Just try to steer her away from any of the MLM companies as (in my opinion)... What she has to offer (a large community of refugees throughout the country) would be better suited if she was getting the commission as opposed to doing the work so someone else reaps the benefits.....
She was all set to sign on with Primerica before I caught wind of her plans and told her no... do it right.. and if you are going to get licensed and everything... at least offer a good quality product....

What she has to offer (a large community of refugees throughout the country)

Can refugees buy life insurance in the United States? Foreign nationals? I believe they would sign a W8-BEN form for their ITIN/SSN and have some documents to show their current legal immigration status in the United States?

Obviously that's not my market, but being ABLE to buy would be a primary consideration. Yes, she is a refugee, and being your wife (I think) makes her a United States citizen.

Whomever she signs on with, must be able to understand what market she is planning to pursue and ensure that she CAN be successful there.

Can refugees buy life insurance in the United States? Foreign nationals? I believe they would sign a W8-BEN form for their ITIN/SSN and have some documents to show their current legal immigration status in the United States?

Obviously that's not my market, but being ABLE to buy would be a primary consideration. Yes, she is a refugee, and being your wife (I think) makes her a United States citizen.

Whomever she signs on with, must be able to understand what market she is planning to pursue and ensure that she CAN be successful there.

Yes they can considering they are permanent residents... Not foreign nationals as they have no "home" country... that is why they are refugees and placed via UNESCO.... I know I have done exams on other green card holders... so have to assume they are eligible (as any green card holder) to buy???

Reactions: DHK
Is she licensed yet? Does she realize she has to be licensed in every state where she will be selling insurance?

She realizes that... one of the benefits of living in New York.... There are so many regulations and red tape that the license in NY is transferable almost anywhere.... But, no, she has not gotten her license as of yet.... She is in the process of finding a "home" first....

Latest posts

Back