Help - Insurance Claim

VishINS

Hi All,

I am new to this country and looking for some guidance in auto insurance claim. A while back while I was reversing the car in the parking lot, I didn't see another motorist and he had a collision to a pole when he swerved to avoid the hit. Unfortunately, there was a good amount of damage to his car in the front.

I am not sure how to handle this with my Insurance.

- Firstly, if I report this would my provider cover the damages to the other car ? (I got Collision and Comprehensive both in my Insurance)
- Given that the other car hit an non-movable object and its because of my fault, should he also have to file the incident to his insurance provider ?

How you handle it with your insurance is that you report it ASAP.

When you back up and cause an accident, you are at fault and your insurance will pay for the other driver's repairs.

That not only applies to you hitting another vehicle but causing damage to another vehicle when it swerves to avoid you.

The other driver will look to your insurance for compensation. If your insurance gives him a hard time for whatever reason, his own insurance will pay for his repairs and seek reimbursement from you/your insurance.

Mostly, what AdjusterJack said.

I would add though, don't automatically assume you were at fault because he hit a poll. Let the insurance company sort that part out. Tell the insurance company what you know happened, not what the other driver said, but what you actually know.

Yes, this is just my gut feeling that there is more to this story.

Dan

What djs said. Just report it and let the insurance company sort it out.

Don't tell the other guy it is your fault, your insurance company will appreciate that.

The fact he hit a pole versus let you hit him really has me scratching my head.

Back