Help - Med Supp Refund

zwcoop

Expert
I could really use some advice about this ...

I have had an agency open for about 4 months now and have run into an issue with a couple of carriers that I do not know how to resolve.

Situation: I submitted an application for a fully underwritten med supp through WULA sometime in the last week of August. Because the prospect informed UW that he was taking lisinopril and may have resulting kidney damage (I'm not sure in what world this seems plausible) they ordered medical records. I won't go into the details but this took some time to coordinate. After badgering them on a weekly basis, I was informed around 10/25-ish that the policy had been approved. Because the prospect was already concerned about being double drafted, I had them inform me before they drafted the premium. When I was notified that it had been approved, I requested for the issue date to be moved from 10/1 to 11/1 since we were almost done with October at that point. I then called the client and had him cancel his existing policy. I was then left a message from WULA saying they could not change the effective date since it was 60 days after the signature date and that I would have to call the clients previous carrier and have them refund the month that was double covered. I called in to the existing carrier and they said they would not change the cancellation date and/or refund the month the client was double covered.

This med supp has cost me more time and aggravation than it is worth and I would do anything to simply wash my hands of the whole ordeal ... but I can't.

So, my basic question is if is 'illegal' to have two med supps in force at the same time .... who is responsible for reimbursing my client? I tried calling the DOI and am awaiting a manager to call me back.

Should I submit a claim to my E&O? Should I just write the guy a check and move on with my life?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'd tell you to write a check, but that is a against the rules, so I wont tell you to do it, if you catch my drift... I ran into an issue like this several years ago.

I would draft a letter to the previous med supp company asking for a retro Cx. Enclosing a copy of the new carriers ID card effective date.
If that doesn’t work, reimburse your client and write it off to experience.

Back