Help!!! Missed Payment

Clr1991

So my mother had been working as a nurse for the same nursing home for the past 12 years. She always paid her life insurance and kept it up to date. The beginning of the year, we found out she had cancer. She slowly got weaker and weaker until she had to move in with my grandmother who was retired and had time to take care of her. My mother had multiple strokes from her medicine in August and was unable to even write to pay her bills so my grandma took over and would help pay them. My grandma sent a check to the insurance company but accidentally did not have enough money in the bank to cover (she usually keeps a minimum in her checking and transfers as needed). My mother passed on August 19th and the insurance was supposed to pay the funeral bills. After the funeral home came to us for payment is when my grandmother called the insurance agency and found out what happened. We have a lawyer looking into this but his dad has cancer so he hasn't had much time to help with the situation. My grandmother, my sister, and I are the beneficiaries so we are just searching for answers. Is there anyway to get around it somehow since a form of payment was tried? Just anything?

So my mother had been working as a nurse for the same nursing home for the past 12 years. She always paid her life insurance and kept it up to date. The beginning of the year, we found out she had cancer. She slowly got weaker and weaker until she had to move in with my grandmother who was retired and had time to take care of her. My mother had multiple strokes from her medicine in August and was unable to even write to pay her bills so my grandma took over and would help pay them. My grandma sent a check to the insurance company but accidentally did not have enough money in the bank to cover (she usually keeps a minimum in her checking and transfers as needed). My mother passed on August 19th and the insurance was supposed to pay the funeral bills. After the funeral home came to us for payment is when my grandmother called the insurance agency and found out what happened. We have a lawyer looking into this but his dad has cancer so he hasn't had much time to help with the situation. My grandmother, my sister, and I are the beneficiaries so we are just searching for answers. Is there anyway to get around it somehow since a form of payment was tried? Just anything?

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.

Let me get this right, the only payment missed was the August payment and she passed in August. She should still be covered under the 30 day grace period. The insurance company should deduct the August premium from the check they send you.

A lawyer is probably the wrong tool for the job at this point and the attempt at payment doesn't really mean much, but there is possibly still good news about the policy. If you look at the policy it's common for them to have an automatic premium rider which means if there is a cash value and a payment is due, but not received, it can start taking payments from the cash value. If she had it for years and it was a whole life policy then that's a likely scenario. The only way to know would be to look at the policy though.

Do you know what company it's with? Do you know if it is whole life? That'd be the best place to start; it's entirely possible they'll pay the claim and just deduct the missed payment(s).

Good luck!

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.

Let me get this right, the only payment missed was the August payment and she passed in August. She should still be covered under the 30 day grace period. The insurance company should deduct the August premium from the check they send you.

I really appreciate it and yes I do believe it was the August payment but I'm not 100% positive. My grandma just said "the last payment" which I know was due beginning of August. She was so upset that me and my sister didn't really try to ask anymore questions at the moment. Thanks for the quick response by the way also. What would happen if it was the July payment by any chance?

I really appreciate it and yes I do believe it was the August payment but I'm not 100% positive. My grandma just said "the last payment" which I know was due beginning of August. She was so upset that me and my sister didn't really try to ask anymore questions at the moment. Thanks for the quick response by the way also. What would happen if it was the July payment by any chance?

If it was the July payment...it's going to depend on the type of policy. I'm shooting you a private message with my cell number, call me tomorrow.

Also sorry for your loss. If the policy turns out to be whole life then it will automatically go into Extended Term. This means that the cash value will fund the cost of insurance until it runs out. Depending on how much cash value is there it could keep it in benefit for years.

Also sorry for your loss. If the policy turns out to be whole life then it will automatically go into Extended Term. This means that the cash value will fund the cost of insurance until it runs out. Depending on how much cash value is there it could keep it in benefit for years.

Unless it has APL.

----------

Which is why I offered to help the guy.

What Gooner said. Call him. This could be a very simple process. Calling an attorney off the bat is throwing away money.

The op never has said wether the insurance company sent a letter of denial. I have a couple of clients on Dm that are 45-60 days late a lot. Every company I've seen will accept payment for 60 days.I have called a few co's and asked if the client died at the 50 day mark which is past the 30 day grace will you pay the claim and they say yes. But if a real claim comes in will they pay the claim?

Back