Help!.. Rate my IMO List of Carriers

I'm a first year agent under a friend of mine is my upline. Should I have him sign up with Lafayette and use my as his downline?

You guys are welcome to do anything you want. But your friend is likely under an agency that doesn't offer LaFayette and will not want him going outside their agency.

Here's the thing. You sound brand new. And it sounds like you have 20+ good companies to sell. The up line manager/trainer is familiar with those companies and can teach you how to sell them. I'm assuming that he is making a great living and that's why you chose to go under him and learn from him.

The worst thing you can do (if you are under a good guy who is teaching you) is look for even more companies to cover imaginary cases you haven't even got.

Choose your horse wisely and ride it. There are many ways to make great money with your insurance license. But the easiest way to fail out of the business is to spin in circles and change your course every time you get an email or phone call from a marketer or every time you read a new thread or get private messaged on the insurance forum.

If you have a few good good companies that you are appointed with, get out there and sell some insurance NOW. That's the only way you will make it. Having every company will NOT improve your chances of making money. If you run into a case that your companies can't serve, that's where you either pick up the company you need or decide that the one case is an oddball and refer it to someone else.

So back to your question about signing up with LaFayette. If you were an independent agent who knows what to do, I would say sign up yourself. Why add an extra guy who knows nothing about Lafayette? But in your position I would answer, do what your up line/trainer wants you to do. Put all your trust in him until you find a reason not to. It's his decision.

Anybody know how to get quotes on Lafayette Life's term products without having to contact their regional wholesaler? It's not coming up in compulife that I can see . . . but it looks like it should be.

Anybody know how to get quotes on Lafayette Life's term products without having to contact their regional wholesaler? It's not coming up in compulife that I can see . . . but it looks like it should be.

Maybe fexquotes.com ??? NOt 100% sure, but I know they added a Term quote option.

They aren't on FexQuotes. They aren't going to be one of the lowest priced term companies either.

Their niche is their conversion options to any of their WL products.

You guys are welcome to do anything you want. But your friend is likely under an agency that doesn't offer LaFayette and will not want him going outside their agency.

Here's the thing. You sound brand new. And it sounds like you have 20+ good companies to sell. The up line manager/trainer is familiar with those companies and can teach you how to sell them. I'm assuming that he is making a great living and that's why you chose to go under him and learn from him.

The worst thing you can do (if you are under a good guy who is teaching you) is look for even more companies to cover imaginary cases you haven't even got.

Choose your horse wisely and ride it. There are many ways to make great money with your insurance license. But the easiest way to fail out of the business is to spin in circles and change your course every time you get an email or phone call from a marketer or every time you read a new thread or get private messaged on the insurance forum.

If you have a few good good companies that you are appointed with, get out there and sell some insurance NOW. That's the only way you will make it. Having every company will NOT improve your chances of making money. If you run into a case that your companies can't serve, that's where you either pick up the company you need or decide that the one case is an oddball and refer it to someone else.

So back to your question about signing up with LaFayette. If you were an independent agent who knows what to do, I would say sign up yourself. Why add an extra guy who knows nothing about Lafayette? But in your position I would answer, do what your up line/trainer wants you to do. Put all your trust in him until you find a reason not to. It's his decision.

he's fine with it .. we are trying to only get some additional companies that focus on Whole life .. we definitely don't want to over extend ourselves.. right now we are only appointed with only a fraction of the companies our IMO offers.

go
he's fine with it .. we are trying to only get some additional companies that focus on Whole life .. we definitely don't want to over extend ourselves.. right now we are only appointed with only a fraction of the companies our IMO offers.

You do not need an upline !!!! You can contact Lafayette directly and get a top contract plus bonus money after $8,000 of production. If you want a GUL, UL, IUL, or annuities you can contract directly with their sister company Columbus Life (which also has a great bonus plan). They both have marketing support if you need help. You also have the ability to add people under you and get an override and their production counts torwards your bonus levels. If you go to another IMO they keep the bonus money and usually you can't put people under your contract. IMO's make absolutely no sense at all unless you need to shop a case.

Last edited:
go You do not need an upline !!!! You can contact Lafayette directly and get a top contract plus bonus money after $8,000 of production. If you want a GUL, UL, IUL, or annuities you can contract directly with their sister company Columbus Life (which also has a great bonus plan). They both have marketing support if you need help. You also have the ability to add people under you and get an override and their production counts torwards your bonus levels. If you go to another IMO they keep the bonus money and usually you can't put people under your contract. IMO's make absolutely no sense at all unless you need to shop a case.

Unless something has drastically changed at Lafayette (might have) going direct got you a really low commission contract and you had to hit production quotas to get bonuses that still had you lower than a broker contract through an IMO.

Plus all contracts allow downline agents. But if you are on the low one it's harder to get agents to work for that.

Back