Help Shopping for Insurance

Katrina

Texas
Hello,

I am in the process of searching for a dental insurance that will cover a specific kind of braces and one that also allows me to visit my current dentist.

While searching for companies how would I address this to them so that I know I am getting the coverage I want?

Thanks!

There are two phrases you used that are going to result in you getting a lot of "it depends" answers.

1. "Cover" means different things to different people. For major periodontal work, I immediately think 50% coverage after the deductible up to the cap. To you, it might mean 100% paid, no questions asked. Just because a plan covers something doesn't mean it covers it well. Ask what deductible must be met, what coinsurance split there is, and what the cap on that service is.

2. "Specific kind of braces" sounds like speciality work to me, and makes me nervous about exclusions right out of the gates. What kind of braces are we talking about?

Also, since you're looking at getting insured with necessary treatment already on the horizon, you'll want to ask about exclusions for pre-existing conditions and wait time for major services. Some dental plans require you wait for 12 months before you do anything other than routine cleanings.

It's best to be as specific as possible when asking companies about these things. If they can't give you a straight answer to a specific situation, run.

Six-month smiles. They're braces geared towards adults and much cheaper than traditional braces or invisalign.

Six-month smiles. They're braces geared towards adults and much cheaper than traditional braces or invisalign.

These guys?

From what I've read on their website (admittedly a pretty brief glance), you'll want to focus on three things when shopping for a dental policy:

1. What's the deductible, coinsurance, and cap for periodontal work?

2. Are cosmetic procedures covered at normal rates?

3. What's the waiting period for this service?

I'm assuming your current dentist is a provider for the six month smile thing. I'd start with him - ask what insurance providers he accepts or what networks he's a member of. Then your best plan of attack is to find an agent in your area who can shop those networks for you. There are several Texas agents on the board here - if none of them wander in, then shoot me an email and I'll forward you a list of the Texas folks I know.

6monthsmiles is a technique, or more precisely, an apparatus used by some dentists & orthodontists.

Regarding your original question, your limitations are going to result in a "no" answer.

Most true dental plans do not cover ortho for adults. DHMO's and discount plans are the exception. Both those type plans require you to use a dentist in their network.

6monthsmiles is a technique, or more precisely, an apparatus used by some dentists & orthodontists.

Regarding your original question, your limitations are going to result in a "no" answer.

Most true dental plans do not cover ortho for adults. DHMO's and discount plans are the exception. Both those type plans require you to use a dentist in their network.

I was thinking DHMO myself - but I'm curious, what is it that makes you say a DHMO isn't a true dental plan? You know a hell of a lot more about dental insurance than I do, to be sure, I've just never heard anyone make that distinction before.

Two different sentences. Two different thoughts.

1) True dental plans (including DHMO) usually don't cover adult ortho.

2) Discount dental plans (which are not real dental) will usually cover adult ortho but then there is no risk transfer.

Alright, thanks.

I need dental insurance anyway and I need a way to help pay for those braces. When I was working not to long ago my insurance company was going to pay for the braces only 3 mons. into the insurance... no biggie. :) There's always financial aide if I absolutely have to.

Hello,

I am in the process of searching for a dental insurance that will cover a specific kind of braces and one that also allows me to visit my current dentist.

While searching for companies how would I address this to them so that I know I am getting the coverage I want?

Thanks!

On an aside, I always love it when a prospect basically says "I'd like to make an insurance claim, where can I buy the insurance so it will get paid?" Nothing against our new friend Katrina, but that is adverse selection at it's finest!

Back