Help Starting an Agency

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for some genuine help in starting a new agency. I have recently obtained my P&C Insurance in the State of Pennsylvania. I have emailed my resume/information over to Nationwide, and Erie Insurance and I have not getting anywhere so far. I have not even heard back from either of these two. I am looking into starting an exclusive agency. Any of you guys know of the right person, such as District Sales Manager or someone in the Philadelphia Area that I can seek help. All inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for some genuine help in starting a new agency. I have recently obtained my P&C Insurance in the State of Pennsylvania. I have emailed my resume/information over to Nationwide, and Erie Insurance and I have not getting anywhere so far. I have not even heard back from either of these two. I am looking into starting an exclusive agency. Any of you guys know of the right person, such as District Sales Manager or someone in the Philadelphia Area that I can seek help. All inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

Erie takes a while to get back to you. If it has been over 4 business days I would suggest looking up the nearest branch office to call and ask for a DSM. There are a couple of us on the forum looking to get appointed with Erie. One of us is up and running and I got approved 2 weeks ago. Need to finish up the appointment paperwork now. It took both of us 6-7 months from start to finish. So expect some waiting. So you got any insurance experience at all?

Thank you for your Post. I read online that it takes quite bit of time with Erie. What do you think about Nationwide? I previously do not have much experience. I am going through a career change from Information Systems field to the Insurance Industry. Do you have any leads in another insurance companies? If so, kindly help me out. I had emailed and submitted a proposal to Nationwide Ironing out all the details and a business plan proposing a location for the office. Unfortunately, its been over two weeks and no response whatsoever.

Last edited:
I didn't consider nationwide because they are not as competitive as Erie. Can't help you there. It is tough for you to have your own agency with no experience at all. Why don't you work for someone first before heading out on your own? I get that you want to be your boss, but from a business standpoint. I would do one year as a producer for experience. This will let you makes less mistakes and have Erie or nationwide be more inclined to take another look at you. For the clusters most of them want 3 years experience.

Why don't you want to get some experience first? Between you and me, I wouldn't let someone brand new represent me, if someone does; you will need to ask why they are so eager to get you.

Blue_wynd,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I respect your input in terms of working for somebody else for some time to gain experience in the insurance industry. Unfortunately, I can’t see myself working for somebody for $10 an hour. I feel that I have gone way beyond making $10 an hour. I have earned a Bachelors and a Master’s degree, and I have a young family. Starting from the bottom of the barrel is something that I could not imagine.
I have three years of Banking Experience, 6 Years of Retail Experience, and 3 years of Information Technology Experience. Do you think this is enough for a company to consider me?

None of your experiences is in insurance or marketing. So it is kinda tough. O would make sure to have a standout business plan. Am untapped niche is good and if you have a good referral network. Most don't give out salary or base anyway. So going on commission, it is up to you how much you make. Just make sure to get a good commission split.

there will be days when you first start out that you wished you made $10 a hour :)

But stick with it, show up and work hard everyday and you will get where you need to go.

Back