Help with Claiming Life Insurance Policy! Death Cert Needed!

Jesse54b

Hello,

My mother recently had a good friend die and he named her as the beneficiary of his life insurance policy. We are not his next of kin so were are unable to get this death cert from the funeral home and his brother will not give us the death cert.

We have requested the death cert through the ontario government website but they don't have a copy of the cert yet because he died about 10 weeks ago.

How can I get a death certificate for someone that has recently died in Ontario Canada.

Please help.!

Without knowing the laws of Ontario, I'd say you are pursuing the two options available. From the family, and from the local government. See if the brother or another family member is a beneficiary of the policy. If so, when they produce the death certificate, you should just need to file the claim for your mother as they'll have proof of death.

Otherwise, play nice with the brother or wait on the government.

No death certificate on file with the Ontario government after 10 weeks? That sounds unusual for any bureaucracy. It depends on local law, but in the state of PA thay are piblic records.

"My mother recently had a good friend die and he named her as the beneficiary of his life insurance policy. "

Do you know what company? Call them, tell them and they will tell you what will work.

As far as the brother, he has no claim to the funds if your mom is the beneficary. Insurance company really can't decide who should or shouldn't get the check. They have to pay whom is named.

Call the company. They will tell you what to do.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

As far as I know the Death cert is all the the insurance company will allow to process the claim.

Is their any other documentation they will accept?

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

As far as I know the Death cert is all the the insurance company will allow to process the claim.

Is their any other documentation they will accept?

You had all day did it ever cross your mind to pick up the phone and find out from the one place that can actually answer you :nah:.

Insurance company won't likely talk to OP, as s/he is not the beneficiary. Mom needs to contact them, they'll talk to her.

In the states, anyone can go to town hall and request a death certificate, pay for it, and it's theres (more or less). Canada, don't know. But here's a thought, call a Canadian life insurance agent, something tells me he or she would know the answer.

Latest posts

Back