Help with Commissions from Anthem BC/BS

alphawave2k

Guru
100+ Post Club
I wrote 4 med supps with Anthem BC/BS apparently not realizing I needed a separate contract for their Med Supps vs MA/MAPD plans...so my own fault, but partially theirs b/c I certified to sell MA plans and thought all these products were under the same category/division.They also sent me sales kits, which are normally denied if not appointed. So now, because I wasn't officially contracted they are dragging their ass to even recognize these clients came to them because I brought them.

I've had to get 2 AOR's from 2 clients, and unsure about the other 2 whose policies didn't go into effect until after my official contract date. The apps were submitted with my MA writing #'s which was obviously incorrect.. I've communicated with different departments and have exchanged texts and emails with the local Agency Service Representative who seems to want to help, but nothing seems to be moving or at least moving at a snails pace since these policies have already become effective.

My official contracted date was 12/17/18 and all 4 policies were written prior to that date. One effective 11/1/18, another 12/1/18 and 2 others on 1/1/19. Besides complaining and persisting with them, where else can an agent turn to if they feel they are being unjustifiably denied commissions they've earned? This is my first entanglement with any company regarding this issue, and my first taste of dealing with Anthem BC/BS or whoever they really are. The level of agent support and appreciation with this company is non-existent, and downright counter productive, and no company should be able to get away with this BS!

I am not licensed in GA, so your YMMV. I am contracted independently with Anthem BC and took the training to sell their MAPD's, and I have also sold some of their Med Supps here in California. Questions for you:
1) Are you contracted independently or do you have an upline FMO?
2) I have a local broker manager here that I can call with any product and/or commission questions. Try to find out who your regional broker manager is and see if they can help.
3) Did you enroll the beneficiaries online or did you obtain a paper app and fax it in?

I am not aware of any broker contracting that differentiates between a company that sells Med Supps and MAPD. Maybe it's different in GA.

I am independent and direct with Anthem at this point. It would have been useful to go through FMO/IMO but for some stupid reason, this is one of the few contracts I have direct. I am ambivalent about FMO's, but realize they could have been of help here. If for nothing else, by stopping me from writing the apps to begin with.

Also, I understand online enrollments are more efficient and with less chance of paper being misplaced, etc but their online enrollment process is not intuitive to me, and one client gave up trying to follow up on the email sent, so all paper apps at this point.

To your last point, I could swear there was one other company that had different contracts for Med Supps and MA plans, but can't off the top of my head think of it now. However, if you're not properly credentialed, they typically would not send you application kits. So all that being said, the applicants didn't sign themselves up and once the inconsistency is revealed and brought to their attention, I would expect a good faith attempt at correcting the problem without having the agent run through hoop after hoop. That is my point right now, and trying to figure out how to receive commissions on these.

Oh, among the different departments I got bounced around the "Commissions Compensation Department" said I would only get compensated for the month I was officially appointed with no back months. That's another little snag within the bigger knot. Is it any wonder some on this board are not big fans of this company? I should be heeding the elders' sage advice on this board. Please chime in.

I have been contracted with BCBSGA for several years to write U65 health, group and Medicare supplements. Haven't done anything with them in years. You can probably guess why.

When Anthem came to town last summer I had to get contracted with them. Don't recall exactly, but I think the paperwork had a check off for MA and another for Medigap.

I can't even spell MA so I went with Medigap only.

At least that is the way I remember it.

The process was convoluted and took almost a month before I got approved. Same WA and agency code as with BCBSGA. By the time my paperwork was approved it was time to renew my license. They weren't going to pay me for anything past Oct because their records showed I was not licensed.

Had to go online and get a copy to prove I had a license and it had not lapsed. They eventually paid me.

All this is to say it has been difficult to navigate and it was not without frustration. The local sales office isn't much help. Got more from the agent support line out of SC.

My guess is you are not going to be paid for those Medigap cases. And I have no idea who you should contact other than agent support.

Good luck.

You were posting while I was finishing mine.

Their online e-app for Medigap is the worst I have seen. They really should have tested it using folks age 65+ before rolling it out. Nothing intuitive about it. I went through a dummy app on myself before rolling it out for clients.

I felt like a blind man feeling my way along.

Some parts were easy and intuitive. Other parts could not be found with a GPS.

Of the 40 or so Medigap apps I wrote for Sept to Jan effective dates about a fourth ended up emailing the PDF of the online app, telling them where to sign, then scan and email back to me. A few had no scanner or had one but didn't know how to use it. One asked for my fax number.

I almost laughed out loud.

And a few had to mail the app back to me.

Last edited:
Somarco, you were the one person I had in mind when I mentioned youngish :arghh: elders' sage sentiments about this company. I needed to heed your advice from all your prior postings. You couldn't have captured my experience, level of frustration and at this point resentment for being played this way. I've given up on reaching out to local managers that don't seem to give a rat's sphincter about the agents.

I totally agree with the online enrollment process you described. I was trying not to exaggerate since I didn't attempt it more than a couple of times....neither even remotely successfully. On one other occasion, I tried accessing my agent portal on someone's personal computer, but was denied after several attempts. So much for online enrollment.

For now, no more Anthem clients regardless of what the client thinks he wants. I'd rather lose a sale than send them any more cases at this point. I am not giving up totally here, but other than complaining out loud and being a thorn whenever possible, I was hoping to hear of a third party reach-out for help.

Go to producer and broker login. There are links below the login window if you forgot your username and/or password. You can also get help (once you are in) from Medicare agent support . 800 633 4368

Once you are in you can create links to use for quoting Medicare business. This is done at Agent Connect

You can create new customers, quote coverage, create applications to email to your clients. Sending them a completed app in PDF format is the easiest way and saves the frustration of the e-app.

I doubt an FMO would be of any help, but I believe Ritter has contracts with them. You could contract through them if you want to give them another shot. The G plan is one of the easiest sales I have. Only becomes a PITA when you try to use the e-app. Stick with creating the app online for your client then give them the PDF to sign. Just make sure signatures are all in place.

Good luck

Back