Help with DIY direct mail

Nicolacrayola

Expert
Hello all:) I’m a new agent (VERY new lol still waiting for my license) and I’ve become increasingly interested in doing my own direct mail for mortgage protection with the help of a print shop and lists generated from visiting the county clerk office and perusing the mortgage records as opposed to hiring a mailing house. I’d love to get some advice from someone who’s done it- I’m not sure where to even find a template. I have several reasons for not wanting to just use a mailing house- mainly how much of a pain it’s been to find one that I can trust, that doesn’t require contracts (I’m with family first already), and that doesn’t already have an agent using them in my area. I plan to visit the county clerk as often as mortgage records are updated (daily if needed), and mail out to every new homeowner within a couple hour’s radius. Would love to hear thoughts and advice:)

I understand what you’re saying somarco, but due to local availability this may be my ONLY way to acquire fresh mortgage leads. I know there are other worthwhile types but well- my upline wrote almost $30,000 last week in mortgage protection (and that’s been the consistent norm since he started doing almost exclusively MP) and he didn’t write a quarter of that when he was doing mostly FE. So yeah, I’m getting my hands on mortgage leads no matter what it takes lol. Plus I may as well get this rolling now- I won’t be able to get in front of anyone until my license clears and I get hitched up with the carriers anyways. Might as well have some good leads starting to trickle back to me by the time I CAN sell

Going to the county clerk's office daily is a waste of time. Buy that info from a good source. Try www.listshack.com. I use them for Medicare.

I worked the mortgage protection market for 30 years. It's been about 7 years since I transitioned over to Medicare so I can't remember the company from whom I bought my list of names. Sorry.

Keep it simple and inexpensive. Most companies send out full 8x10 brochures. I sent out a 4x6 postcard in an envelop with a window showing their name and address. It worked. I just got tired of driving all over and fooling around with underwriting so I switched to Medicare which is guaranteed issue.

Send me an email if you want a sample of my direct mail piece. [email protected]

I’ve become increasingly interested in doing my own direct mail for mortgage protection

Did you ever create your DM campaign?

I got my start in the business with mortgage insurance. I telemarketed for f2f appointments.

It was the mid 80s. Things were very different then.

No caller ID and people were just starting to buy answering machines.

I did well selling life. Then circled back to my old lists to sell homeowners a few months later.

I only stopped doing it because the phone company started charging per call for directory assistance.

I think getting the leads ASAP is important. If my recent experience with "new" movers lists is any indication, you won't be able to buy a fresh enough list to make you happy.

But on the other hand your time is valuable. Maybe you can hire someone to compile the list for you and defray your cost by sharing it with non competing business owners.

Anyway, how did you make out?

I run my own DM campaign. There's a few things I'm going to tell you:

Folding and stuffing envelops can take hours, even with a folding machine.

You're going to need to mail multiple times to get any real response rate.

You're going to want to get a marketing mailing permit from USPS. $250, fyi. Plus you have to run the move up report for your list, which is around $30 for 90 days.

(It doesn't matter if they're new homeowners, USPS requires the report, unless you're just going to put a regular stamp on it.)

It's about .41 per letter. Probably less for postcards.

Honestly, if you're doing more than 500 per mailing and 5 mailings per month, your time is better spent letting someone else do it.

I run my own DM campaign. There's a few things I'm going to tell you:

Folding and stuffing envelops can take hours, even with a folding machine.

You're going to need to mail multiple times to get any real response rate.

You're going to want to get a marketing mailing permit from USPS. $250, fyi. Plus you have to run the move up report for your list, which is around $30 for 90 days.

(It doesn't matter if they're new homeowners, USPS requires the report, unless you're just going to put a regular stamp on it.)

It's about .41 per letter. Probably less for postcards.

Honestly, if you're doing more than 500 per mailing and 5 mailings per month, your time is better spent letting someone else do it.
The problem is finding a service to do it,

Back