Help with field underwriting

Slushhhpuppie, your client may be eligible for the PAAdultBasic health program administered by the state of PA. For information the contact number in PA is 1-800-GO BASIC. Also, you can go to the website:
www.ins.state.pa.us/ins/cwp/view.asp? for guidlines and details. Although there is a long wait list, she can buy into the program while on wait list at approximately $305/month.

Thanks for the research arnguy, i appreciate it. Unfortunatley, my client's income is over the eligiblility limit.

I talked to her and explained that she was declined (again), and that we would have to change strategies.

I'm having her join the local SMC to get on their group policy. It is top notch coverage--the same that Fortune 500's give to their execs. But, its running her $890 a month (plus the annual SMC membership fee of $300).

No website yet (along with a number of things i've been procrastinating about for years).

If your client is self-employed and cannot get coverage I would talk to Arnie about the small group association he can offer for groups of 1+ in PA.

He helped me a few months ago and highly recommend him. The plans are awesome and a lot cheaper than $900 per month.

Thanks for the compliment, J.R. I don't think I can help in this case because the association through which I place my one-person business has contracts only with Independence Blue Cross (southeastern PA) and Blue Cross of Northeastern PA. Slushie indicated that Highmark BX (which covers western PA) had declined this individual. Things may change if the proposed merger of IBC and Highmark does come about. It was IBC that referred me to the association, so perhaps there may be a similar situation in the Pittsburgh area. I think Slushie (I hope he/she doesn't mind the contraction) should contact Highmark to see if they have any association contracts in the Allegheny County/Pittsburgh area.

BTW, in my area, the two blues mentioned above offer GI contacts to one-person groups. Of, course the individual must be self-employed or in the case of IBC either S/E or a licensed professional, e.g., real estate salesperson (there is a list of acceptable professions).

Last edited:
Back