HELP with writing group

I just got a group referral from a guy I wrote an individual policy for - his girlfriend's company with 5 employees. Calling her Monday and have never sold group before. I'm contracted with Golden Rule as well as others but thought they might be the better fit for group? Is it as simple as taking a census and providing the information to GR to get this ball rolling? OR do you think a list-bill scenario would be better pricing? Any help would be much appreciated.

If you have never sold a group plan, run don't walk to your favorite GA (I use BenefitMall or Rodgers Benefits or LISI) and let THEM do all the work while YOU watch and learn. A good GA will even go in an do your sales presentation for you as well as enrollment.

Most of the carriers have their own in-house reps who will do the same thing, but they usually reserve their time for brokers with big groups. It all depends on where you are located (in Texas) and how busy they are at any given time.

Don't try to do your first group case alone. The GAs or reps will do a lot for you, will teach you... and they don't take any part of your 7% commish (that's in CA... don't know about Texas.) I didn't even know GR did group (they are not in CA... so I know nothing about them... but I hear rumors that UHC is going to bring them here.)

The Jackass
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

TTBOMK, at least in Pennsylvania, GR does not write group plans----individual only. You probably will have to go with BX or United Health Care (ownerof GR). STI Broker, TXINSURANCE, or any of the other numerous Texas agents can give you a definitive answer for your state.

BTW, welcome to the forum.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I know you won't like the answer, but find someone experienced to work jointly with on this one. Group isn't overly complex, but there is a steep learning curve getting started. You will be doing yourself and your prospect a favor. 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing!

Thanks very much for the feedback. I have no problem splitting the commish - guess I will first call the GA I am contracted through and go from there. Any of you TX guys interested in splitting this with me - assuming I get the business which I ALWAYS assume I will......lol

Check with your GA, but if you come up empty, look up your local NAHU chapter. You are bound to find someone good in the group willing to do joint work. Worst case, I would search for local employee benefit firms in the area and call one up and explain your situation.

Barbara, I'm alittle late getting in a response. How did the meeting go?

I would second using a GA. Try to write it as a group first. Then fall back on indiv policies if they cannot afford or will not meet participation. Be careful on list billing! TDI would not look kindly on it, nor would the carrier from what I've been told.

Hop it works out!

Brad

Back