Help!!!

Helpthisgirlout

I was driving last night when my vehicle began to smoke (from the ac vent) I pulled over and tried to turn the car off. It wouldn’t turn off (push button start)
Car catches fire and is fully engulfed in flames when police and fire people come
It was terrifying.
Call my insurance company-Geico.
They say from what I explained it WILL NOT BE COVERED
She said it sounds like mechanical or electrical failure and they will not cover that with very few exceptions (didn’t say what those exceptions were)
I have total loss protection through the company I financed the vehicle through (USAA)-but reading online they pick up what insurance doesn’t pay. If they don’t pay anything then the total loss protection also doesn’t pay anything.
Isn’t this why I have insurance?! I mean I or one of my children couldn’t have been seriously injured. I don’t understand.
Does anyone know what exceptions will be covered? I really need to know what to do here! Is this standard insurance practice?

sounds like you have a warranty issue and not a insurance issue.....

sounds like you have a warranty issue and not a insurance issue.....
Well the vehicle was purchased used. The manufacturer will not cover fire unless a recall has been issued and it can be proven that the damage is caused by the recalled problem according to the dealer which I called this morning. No recall. They said that’s what insurance is for.

maybe warranty insurance.....take it you did not have this.....
I honestly purchase warranties. I have an extended warranty. I have full coverage. I have gap coverage. I have more coverage than most people. All are saying electrical issues are not covered.
My question was is this normal?
Is it standard practice to not cover a total loss due to this?
Is there anything extenuating that could have caused the issue making it a coverable event?

File the claim. I believe the person is incorrect. Unless Pennsylvania is different, FIRE is a covered item unless intentionally set. Sure, Mechanical failure of your car wont be covered to repair the mechanical failure issue, but Fire resulting from mechanical should be. It would be no different than if your brakes give out & you crash your car, hit another car & there are injuries. The collision claim, the medical bills & Court costs & liability claims would be covered. But if your brakes failed & you merely went through a stop sign with no damage, fixing the brakes wouldn't be covered.

If Geico pays the claim & they can prove the mechanical failure was due to bad repairs at a shop or from the manufacturer, they would subrogate to collect from those parties or their insurance companies for causing the loss

Your biggest problem is you chose to not utilize an agent to write your insurance & went direct with Geico thinking it was cheaper. You are now finding how it may be a ton cheaper when you need it most & you have no agent to help.

File the claim. I believe the person is incorrect. Unless Pennsylvania is different, FIRE is a covered item unless intentionally set. Sure, Mechanical failure of your car wont be covered to repair the mechanical failure issue, but Fire resulting from mechanical should be. It would be no different than if your brakes give out & you crash your car, hit another car & there are injuries. The collision claim, the medical bills & Court costs & liability claims would be covered. But if your brakes failed & you merely went through a stop sign with no damage, fixing the brakes wouldn't be covered.

If Geico pays the claim & they can prove the mechanical failure was due to bad repairs at a shop or from the manufacturer, they would subrogate to collect from those parties or their insurance companies for causing the loss

Your biggest problem is you chose to not utilize an agent to write your insurance & went direct with Geico thinking it was cheaper. You are now finding how it may be a ton cheaper when you need it most & you have no agent to help.

I will file the claim. I just don’t get it. Thank you!

Back