Helping Clients with Part D Can Be a Violation

I never do this anyway. I run their drugs out on the site and can show them the report. That had the phone number they can call directly to enroll.

Head up from UHC's compliance:

If you are assisting clients with Part D enrollment (not as the agent of record) through a consumer facing website, such as Medicare.gov, this is a violation and may be considered fraud.

COMPLIANCE ALERT - ONLINE ENROLLMENTS - SMS University

Don't shoot the messenger :)

I got a call from them on Friday requiring I spend 20 minutes doing a module about this kind of crap. When I asked what would happen if I refused, they pointed out they would simply pull my contract.

I don't know how they knew I used their consumer website but they did. A client can do it and enter the agent number for commission, but if we do the job we have a violation and apparently get put on double secret probation.

And I think it's all the fault of midwestbroker. He is a secret shopper.

Rick

Head up from UHC's compliance:

If you are assisting clients with Part D enrollment (not as the agent of record) through a consumer facing website, such as Medicare.gov, this is a violation and may be considered fraud.

COMPLIANCE ALERT - ONLINE ENROLLMENTS - SMS University

Don't shoot the messenger :)

The absolute most idiotic thing ever.

"Mrs. Jones, I realize you are 80 years old and don't have a computer, but I can't complete your enrollment for you. You'll have to call this toll-free number and wait on hold for 30 minutes to get enrolled in the prescription plan. But be prepared as they will likely attempt to enroll you in a Medicare Advantage plan instead of the prescription plan. So you'll have to be very clear as to the plan you want them to enroll you in."

Yeah, I see no problems with this scenario at all (sarcasm).

I send the client directly to M.gov and let them know how to navigate the Part D look up tool. That is the extent of my involvement. The plan/premium/company evaluation and decision is up to them.

I don't consider this enrollment. Or is it???

I got a call from them on Friday requiring I spend 20 minutes doing a module about this kind of crap. When I asked what would happen if I refused, they pointed out they would simply pull my contract.

I don't know how they knew I used their consumer website but they did. A client can do it and enter the agent number for commission, but if we do the job we have a violation and apparently get put on double secret probation.

Rick

What was the turnaround? When did you do the app like this for them to call you on Friday?

What was the turnaround? When did you do the app like this for them to call you on Friday?

I did the app during AEP. I'm still at a loss as to how they decided I did this for my client.

No matter. I can pass on using UHC for PDP. I think I wrote two.

Rick

Rick

UHC apparently can capture the IP that did the enrollment, I got a phone call from a compliance person in Minnesota and have been playing phone tag but my IMO told me that's probably the reason for the call.

This is stupid, stupid, stupid but makes my life easier-from now on when someone asks me to help them enroll in a Part D plan I just let them know it is a violation for me to do an online enrollment, here is the plan you should consider and good luck.

Last edited:
yeah not sure the last time I saw a UHC pdp being a better fit than whatever Humana or Aetna standalone was available. I just run the drugs through the plan finder, tell them my results. If I'm appointed, I help out through my call center contract portals, if not, I just give them the 1-800 number listed under whatever the plan is on Medicare.gov. I'm boring.

Back