Helping Clients with Part D Can Be a Violation

UHC apparently can capture the ISP that did the enrollment, I got a phone call from a compliance person in Minnesota and have been playing phone tag but my IMO told me that's probably the reason for the call.

This is stupid, stupid, stupid but makes my life easier-from now on when someone asks me to help them enroll in a Part D plan I just let them know it is a violation for me to do an online enrollment, here is the plan you should consider and good luck.

So who's to say the client wasn't in your office and you let them sit at your desk to complete their own enrollment while you walked out of the office?

What a joke. I love how every carrier interprets the rules differently and how some blatantly if ire everything.

Head up from UHC's compliance:

If you are assisting clients with Part D enrollment (not as the agent of record) through a consumer facing website, such as Medicare.gov, this is a violation and may be considered fraud.

COMPLIANCE ALERT - ONLINE ENROLLMENTS - SMS University

Don't shoot the messenger :)

I read the blog post, and my favorite line?

"For more information or to vent about this, please give us a call. (800) 689-2800"

Well, I won't call you to vent. That's what the forum is for. :biggrin:

But this is beyond stupid.

Quick story...

Before I even knew about going on to Medicare dot gov to help my clients, I used to (i know... I know...) do a 3-way call with them and the carrier to make sure they got on the right plan.

It was insane. The call was to the carrier known as the debil, and there was no sign of "ok, let's enroll in the debil's part D" it was, "Well, ma'am, if you enroll in just this you won't have the medical side! Are you sure you don't want one of our PPO plans in your area - or at least take a look at one?"

After that call, I vowed to never, ever, do a 3-way call with the consumer to help them enroll again. It took close to 40 minutes after all the legal disclaimers were read.

Medicare dot gov is so easy, and it even has a place where you can select that you are merely helping them enroll.

So, evidenlty, the only people allowed to help someone enroll are non-licensed agent? If you have a license and you help someone - it could be fraud.

That makes sense. :no:

I guess moving forward the only good option is to have them call Medicare directly to enroll - seeing as Medicare will (likely) not try to up-sell them to a MAPD plan? Any better ideas out there?

Having them call the carrier when the carrier has a mapd available seems like stupidity.

Having them call the carrier when the carrier has a mapd available seems like stupidity.

This has happened to me also. Client called me back excited about her new low premium...Explained to her what had happened and she decided she wanted to take the risk. She was not a healthy person, wonder how she was liking that network and high OOP. Oh well.

So who's to say the client wasn't in your office and you let them sit at your desk to complete their own enrollment while you walked out of the office?

That's what the client would have to say but how many would remember to say it if and when UHC calls them randomly about something that happened several months ago.

Talk about stupidity, this one beats everything. I will just play dumb about PDP from now on, I'm not risking a healthy renewal stream with this.

I just realized my original post said 'ISP' instead of 'IP'...

What about using incognito mode in chrome to do so? I dint know if that blocks the IP but just a thought?

It's not worth the trouble. Another reason to show clients carriers have coem up with another way to keep us from helping clients. Just tell the client that carriers doesn't want you to get my help enrolling in a PDP, so I will email instructions to call your local SHIIP office or Medicare directly.

Back