Here is a possible source for free phone lists

G

Like many of you, I pay for GoLeads.

However, I just found out that my county library subscribes to ReferenceUSA and I can use it online from home for FREE. The limitation is that I can't download (to an Excel sheet, for example) any names/address, but I CAN view them on screen. (See attached). The system lets you slice and dice the data a ton of different ways. If all you are doing is cold calling and say you want all the auto repair shops in a zip code (3 or 5 digit) it's there.

Go to your library website and see if they subscribe. If they do, you can log on to ReferenceUSA from their site using your library number.

-Al

Last edited by a moderator:
not on mine.....on my first day a Met Life they threw a cole directory at me and said start calling.......looks like it is on line now.....

http://www.coleinformation.com/cris...nce-leads/insurance-sales-lead-directory.aspx

Cole OnLine Directory gives you immediate access to online data resources. The online resources you need!

You select the markets, and Cole brings you the information! You identify the area where your new customers live. Cole OnLine brings you cross-reference listings of names, phone numbers and addresses for residential and business addresses – for your area.

You have the power of Cole OnLine information!

* Locate Individuals by House Number!
* Locate New Movers!
* Identify Neighbors of Your Best Customers!
* Discover New Businesses

There is a similar link on this board somewhere that goes into a bit more detail. I looked into it myself and with the beauty of "print screen" it comes in very handy. At some libraries you are able to download information at the library or via the internet at home.

salpro22 said:
At some libraries you are able to download information at the library or via the internet at home.

When I said earlier that I can't print or download, I was wrong (partly).

In my county I can download 50 items per SEARCH when at the library computers but only 5 from home. Since I don't do maiings and am cold calling, using the screen output is fine. And if I want to create a list for a telemarketer I'd just print-to-PDF a few screens and send them the files (or use a free utility for the Mac to combine several PDFs in to one file (handy for faxing.)

If I had known about this I would not have spent $100 for the GoLeads service. Live and learn.

Al

I'm going to the library to save $10 a month? Don't know about your library by mine has a waiting list to use the computer, you have to sign in a wait, then you get 30 minutes.

john_petrowski said:
I'm going to the library to save $10 a month? Don't know about your library by mine has a waiting list to use the computer, you have to sign in a wait, then you get 30 minutes.

In my county you only have to go to the library IF you want to download a file (and then only 50 names/addresses). However from home I can get thousands and thousands of screen-pages of names (like the one I posted earlier.) It's fine for making cold calls. When I get a lead on the phone I then copy/paste the name/address into my database. Takes 3 minutes, if that.

Also, with this list you can click on the company name and get a lot of added detail (see file below). I don't know why I'd ever need to know the latitude and longitude of the business's office... but it's there!

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
I too can access my library from home. They limit us to 20 names at a time for download but it doesn't take long to accumulate a few hundred names. Plus I can download them as a CSV file then import into a database.

I believe that the ReferenceUSA as a source from public libraries was mentioned quite a while age by Bob_The_Insurance_Guy. It may have been on the forum. Here in Montgomery County, PA, some libraries allow 60 minutes on the computer while other it is unlimited as long as no one else is waiting. They all use a computerized reservation system that is fair to all and rarely is there a long wait. Also, access can be had from a home computer.

I was not aware that Cole Directory is online. Thanks for the tip Sti.

Library lists

Here in KC we can use the library lists from any internet connection - just have to have a library card. They have D&B, Ref USA, million dollar DB, and many others. You can only download 25 at a time, but it takes a second & you can do it by geography & many other specifics. Often they are just as, or more up to date, than stuff you purchase.

I've had good experiences with them - you can even segment small biz by # of employees, etc.

Back