Here's a Good One...

M

Mike_Golden1

I visited with a potential client today who had just seen a United American agent-he said the UA agent told him that their 'health insurance' plan was guaranteed to remain the same rate for the rest of the guys's life.

How is that for a tall tale?

On top of that, UA 'Flex Plan' monthly cost for a family of 4, standard rating, $75k maximum per illness, is $368 per month.

How can these agents sleep at night?

I visited with a potential client today who had just seen a United American agent-he said the UA agent told him that their 'health insurance' plan was guaranteed to remain the same rate for the rest of the guys's life.

How is that for a tall tale?

On top of that, UA 'Flex Plan' monthly cost for a family of 4, standard rating, $75k maximum per illness, is $368 per month.

How can these agents sleep at night?

Where did you come in at?

Some of their(UA) literature with Farm and Ranch talked about their under 65 not having a rate increase in 54 years but it's that band-aid crap they call health insurance.

Actually, the UA plans have had 3 rate increases in the last 15 or so years. The coverage is rated at issue age and is never increased to existing policy holders. When you write a defined benefit plan you can do that.

Unfortunately, the folks at Mega & MidWest have not figured that out.

If someone can qualify for a real major medical that is what they should have.

Otherwise, the UA is better than nothing.

I sold for UA when I started. They did have some underage plans that had not had a rate increase in quite some time, and hey advertised pretty big on that. I know some of those plans had increased after I quit selling for them, so I don't know if that is still true. Let's hope the customer misunderstood that the plans hadn't increased in the past and it wasn't the agent lying... Knowing the track record of their training.. it was probably an agent lying.

Where did you come in at?

The client already has a Golden Rule Copay 35 plan for $440 a month and doesn't think the coverage has any value for him. He has applied (not through me) for a Freedom Life Med Essential HSA, which has the 25K Outpatient Maximum and 2K Rx maximum for $350 a month.

I spent an hour and a half explaining that, with a family of 4, including a 2 and 4 year old, he was putting himself in jeopardy in the event of the need for serious Outpatient therapy, that the UA plan was even worse, and that he needed a real Major medical plan with no treatment limitations because he never wants to get the call from a doctor or hospital letting him know that they can't authorize a treatment plan unless he is prepared to spend tons of money out of pocket.

My final recommendation, after suggesting first suggesting he stay on his current plan, was a GTL Popular PPO for $317 per month. It has copays, Major Medical coverage, and no limitations on treatment.

This is a very confused but nice guy who has been seeing way too many insurance agents. My guess is that he will stay with the Freedom Life policy but I at least explained to him the limitations and asked him to sit down with his wife tonight and ask her if she was comfortable knowing that one of their children had a chance of being denied treatment for a serious but treatable illness such as cancer or leukemia because they didn't have coverage for it.

When you said GTL Popular PPO ,is that Guarantee Trust because I thought(and I may be wrong,just asking)that they only had that high-deduct plan. Is that what you are referring to?

The client already has a Golden Rule Copay 35 plan for $440 a month and doesn't think the coverage has any value for him. He has applied (not through me) for a Freedom Life Med Essential HSA, which has the 25K Outpatient Maximum and 2K Rx maximum for $350 a month.

I spent an hour and a half explaining that, with a family of 4, including a 2 and 4 year old, he was putting himself in jeopardy in the event of the need for serious Outpatient therapy, that the UA plan was even worse, and that he needed a real Major medical plan with no treatment limitations because he never wants to get the call from a doctor or hospital letting him know that they can't authorize a treatment plan unless he is prepared to spend tons of money out of pocket.

My final recommendation, after suggesting first suggesting he stay on his current plan, was a GTL Popular PPO for $317 per month. It has copays, Major Medical coverage, and no limitations on treatment.

This is a very confused but nice guy who has been seeing way too many insurance agents. My guess is that he will stay with the Freedom Life policy but I at least explained to him the limitations and asked him to sit down with his wife tonight and ask her if she was comfortable knowing that one of their children had a chance of being denied treatment for a serious but treatable illness such as cancer or leukemia because they didn't have coverage for it.

Glad to see that you took the time to explain things to him. Was his wife their with the two of you because it sounds like it was only the two of you.

When you said GTL Popular PPO ,is that Guarantee Trust because I thought(and I may be wrong,just asking)that they only had that high-deduct plan. Is that what you are referring to?

GTL has Deductibles as low as $1k in Florida and about 19 other states.

Back