Hey AARP...Stop Sending Me Stuff!

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
Wait. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty.

I just turned 51 and am getting bombarded with offers to join AARP.

For any of you that are members...is it worth it? I worry about the stigma of joining so early. Ya know...like maybe if I join, I'll get a rocking chair for my birthday. Ughh!

Thanks for reading this post...and as a special treat, click on the link for some fun...

CareerBuilder Monk-e-Mail

Last edited:
I too am old enough to join. However, I HATE AARP. The only reason I would agree to join would be to use the card to get the discounts some businesses offer but I can't bring myself to stoop that low!

I turn 50 next month. Yesterday I received a nice packet in the mail which apparently includes a temporary AARP ID card LOL.

XRAC, I get better discounts on most things I use with my AAA card.

No advice on the AAAAAAAAAARP as I have been pitching the mail for years. I thought that we were going to have to replace the roof on the house 5yrs ago, the first mailing that came with my wifes name on it... wow, she didn't see any humor in that at all. We are talking pure vanity here.

I guess my thought on AARP has always been that it is primarily a database from which to market ins... and they get you to pay to have them mkt products too... clever idea and it is a beast of a lobby, but their focus remains ins... 38 mil members, 7 mil policy holders, so almost 20% penetration. They have been questioned by Congress, other organizations and several financial magazines about the conflict.

This is what you really want Chumps but you are still 9yrs too young. Patience young man.

Golden Buckeye Card

I understand that the card entitles you to a 95% discount at Cracker Barrel, but only if you sit in the smoking section.

I too am old enough to join. However, I HATE AARP. The only reason I would agree to join would be to use the card to get the discounts some businesses offer but I can't bring myself to stoop that low!

Most hotels and restaurants will give you the same discounts if you just ask about a senior citizen discount.

OR you can join Triple-A to get the discount.

You got to LOVE AARP though. They make it so easy for us to sell final expense and Medicare Supplements to their members.

AARP will send you that mail until you buy or die and they'll usually go a year or two after that just to be sure.

They are the junk mail gurus!

AARP will send you that mail until you buy or die and they'll usually go a year or two after that just to be sure.

They are the junk mail gurus!

They send me stuff all of the time. I'm 50.

Membership cards a few times, so far.....I still haven't joined up.

One advantage of joining AARP is that you will then be deluged with seminar invitations. :yes:

If you do seminars at all, or any kind of direct mail for that matter, it is a good way to keep up with what your competition is doing.

Back