HH member removed from plan, rates should have gone upI

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
From a referral to help get the T65 enrolled in Medicare coverage and then handle the ACA change over. Saying this first, then explaining: I am assuming that even if the 1095-A says what tax credit was received, the tax preparer is supposed to calculate what the household was eligible to receive and the tax return is adjusted for refund or to collect excess tax credit. Here is the situation:
Looks like when HC.gov gets involved in fixing a problem, the results are creative.
The T65 grandparent with guardianship of 2 late teens, one on CHIP the other just turning 20, needed to keep the 20 year old covered after the grandmother was off ACA coverage. Their income is such that a substantial tax credit is involved.
To be thorough, we tried to cover the grandmother for January, T65 Feb. Medicare, 2/2/18. Somehow, between my web broker portal and HC.gov, I could not enroll the grandmother. Enter HC.gov, who enrolled the grandmother and granddaughter separately.
The result is that when we couldn't get the grandmother off the plan for 2/1/18, properly, more issues, and the escalation was done, no one redid premium with tax credit for the remaining grandchild, nor asked me to do a life change. Now the premium for the grandchild remains at $5 and should be about $70 according to my quote system. I have noticed that removing someone from coverage, but still in the household tends to increase the premium for the remaining covered household member.
It's all good until tax time, and I don't want to get "that phone call". So, if I go in and redo the app for the kid, it should result in the premium increase when I re-enroll her, or it will still be a cluster, so advice is welcome.

I would leave it alone, and let them reconcile the taxes on the back end. It's not always the case the the premium goes higher when removing a person, too many variables that factor in. If only one carrier in county, than price may not change at all as it's based on % of income maximum. In addition, going back in and trying to recreate what you think should it be, will probably result in the same price you are showing now, and upsetting the apple cart for no apparent reason. If everyone is insured correctly, as of the right dates, don't touch it.

Looks like when HC.gov gets involved in fixing a problem, the results are creative.

That's a nice way of saying it . . .

Phyllis, you never cease to amaze me how you stumble into these oddball and complicated situations. It's almost like you have a sign on your back that says "Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses"

Back