HHS Offering $5,000 to Someone who Can Simplify the Medical Bill for Patients

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Bit of a tangent topic here at best, but HHS Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell just announced a contest promising a cash prize of $5,000 to the person or organization that designs a simpler medical bill.

The “A Bill You Can Understand” contest was announced Monday as a response to the common complaint that today’s medical bills are too difficult for consumers to understand.

Burwell says: “This challenge is part of HHS’ larger effort to put patients at the center of their own health care. With today’s announcement, we are creating progress toward a medical bill that people can actually understand and a billing process that makes sense – progress that includes creating a forum that brings everyone to the table: patients, doctors, hospitals, insurance companies and innovators.”

The challenge will issue two awards: one for the innovator that designs the bill that is easiest to understand and a second for the innovator that designs the best transformational approach to improve the medical billing system, focusing on what the patient sees and does throughout the process. Submissions will be judged based on understandability, creativity and how well they address the challenges outlined by patients, providers and payers, among other criteria explained on the challenge website. The challenge will accept submissions until August 10, 2016. Challenge winners will be announced in September 2016 and will receive cash prizes of $5,000 each.

OK, I appreciate the concept, but if they really wanted qualified people who know what they’re doing to get serious about this, wouldn’t they have made it a $50,000 prize instead of $5,000?

HHS announces challenge to redesign the medical bill for patients | HHS.gov

I guess since they don't know how to do anything themselves, they've outsourced the job to miscellaneous contestants . . . ridiculous. I know - how about a bill that simply says, "you owe much more than you can afford" . . .

Brian, I think you answered your own question. They didn't want educated individuals involved....very much the same as the ACA that had to be passed to see what's inside.

I mean we are talking about HHS here. :D

lol @ $5k. Make it $100k and they might get some interest.

Right DGoldenz. HHS spends $5,000 just oil to keep the shredding machines cool at Healthcare.gov's document processing center in Kentucky. It's peanuts..

Besides, the 8 page Summary of Benefits for health plans was designed to augment and replace those "complicated" Outlines of Coverage documents. As a result, the 2-page OOC, grew to an 8-page SOB.

To make medical bills and Explanation of Benefits easier to understand, scenarios, and definitions of terminologies must be added.. making the document looonnnger.

When I win the $10,000, I'll buy you all a round of drinks.

(There's two $5000 prizes, one for easiest bill to understand, one for "transformational approach", might as well go for both)

Back