HI: New to forum and to insurance!

ampire

HI!

I just graduated from college and I am starting with Mass Mutual in less then a month. This forum looks like a great way to get to learn the ropes!

I look forward to learning from the wealth of experience on here.

MM is a great choice of a company to be with. Find a mentor and you should do fine.

Welcome! Mass Mutual is a good company. I would recommend getting mentored by an experienced agent and getting in the business insurance arena. Cutting your teeth on Mom and Pop is good to begin with and is good bread and butter while you develop your business insurance practice that includes buy sell, split dollar, deferred comp, and estate planning.I know some can testify here that offering health insurance to business owners will open the door for the business insurance. I know an associate who would prospect for small group health, which can be a pain, but his only motivation was to build a relationship and offer the other life prodcuts and concepts. He would always write hundreds of thousand of life premium annually and that was many years ago.

These business cases take longer but are very lucrative! I would also suggest partnering with a experienced agent and splitting commissions while you learn what they know...It is worth everything you split in commission. I started with Lincoln National and learned more by working cases with a veteran in the business. It was the cheapest tuition I ever paid.

If you're serious about the life business, obtaining a CLU, CHFC from the American College does help you stand out.
The LUTC course is also very good and would assist you in getting up to speed with some of the advanced concepts. Mass probably has already talked to you about that.

The insurance business is not easy but very rewarding! I remember delivering my first $100,000 death claim to a woman and it changed my life and gave me the conviction why I do this business. She was so grateful and let her and her children keep the house (That was about 20 years ago so $100,000 was a good sum of money)

We are here to help you so don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
Welcome! Mass Mutual is a good company. I would recommend getting mentored by an experienced agent and getting in the business insurance arena. Cutting your teeth on Mom and Pop is good to begin with and is good bread and butter while you develop your business insurance practice that includes buy sell, split dollar, deferred comp, and estate planning.I know some can testify here that offering health insurance to business owners will open the door for the business insurance. I know an associate who would prospect for small group health, which can be a pain, but his only motivation was to build a relationship and offer the other life prodcuts and concepts. He would always write hundreds of thousand of life premium annually and that was many years ago.

These business cases take longer but are very lucrative! I would also suggest partnering with a experienced agent and splitting commissions while you learn what they know...It is worth everything you split in commission. I started with Lincoln National and learned more by working cases with a veteran in the business. It was the cheapest tuition I ever paid.

If you're serious about the life business, obtaining a CLU, CHFC from the American College does help you stand out.
The LUTC course is also very good and would assist you in getting up to speed with some of the advanced concepts. Mass probably has already talked to you about that.

The insurance business is not easy but very rewarding! I remember delivering my first $100,000 death claim to a woman and it changed my life and gave me the conviction why I do this business. She was so grateful and let her and her children keep the house (That was about 20 years ago so $100,000 was a good sum of money)

Good post! Great advice! Listen to Marker77 and you won't be far off the mark.

Thanks for the post! Glad to have the help.

I wish I had been introduced to the life ins business when I was young instead of the car business. Finding a good mentor can be difficult. Don't tolerate one who has let you down. Work with different agents.

Back