High Deductible plans F and G

Midwest Broker

Can someone clarify if these plans are in fact going away in 2020? Since they are not first dollar coverage it would seem they would still be eligible. I know Physicians Mutual has a High Deductible Plan F and G that after two or three years the deductible goes way and it becomes 100% coverage. If these plans are going away why would they just release these new plans for 2019 and not have them available for 2020?

To my knowledge, no carriers have a High Deductible Plan G on the market yet. That's not supposed to be available until 2020.

And High Deductible Plan F is NOT going away in 2020, you just have to be 65 before then to enroll in F. Or you can keep it if you already have it, etc.

To my knowledge, no carriers have a High Deductible Plan G on the market yet. That's not supposed to be available until 2020.

And High Deductible Plan F is NOT going away in 2020, you just have to be 65 before then to enroll in F. Or you can keep it if you already have it, etc.

Do you have to be 65 before 2020 or enrolled in Medicare?
I assumed enrolled in Medicare prior to 1/1/20

Can someone clarify if these plans are in fact going away in 2020? Since they are not first dollar coverage it would seem they would still be eligible. I know Physicians Mutual has a High Deductible Plan F and G that after two or three years the deductible goes way and it becomes 100% coverage. If these plans are going away why would they just release these new plans for 2019 and not have them available for 2020?

Somewhere there is a CMS document that states HDG plans cannot be sold until Jan 1, 2020.

There have been threads discussing the "special" HDF converting to F type plans which you mentioned. While I don't remember the details, my takeaway is that most agents consider those to be marketing ploys to ultimately lock a medicare beneficiary into a Plan F that will not offer the beneficiary the most reasonable pricing in their zip code market.

For purposes of the legislation, HDF is considered to be a Plan F that includes first dollar coverage.

With the HDF, the only liability is the current year's high deductible. With an HDF, one never has a liability for the Part B deductible.

With the HDG, depending on the nature of one's medical bills early in the year, it is remotely possible that one would have to pay the current year's high deductible PLUS the Part B deductible. (Relates to the timing of Part A expenses vs Part B expenses.)

Do you have to be 65 before 2020 or enrolled in Medicare?
I assumed enrolled in Medicare prior to 1/1/20

I agree with G52's eligibilty comment.

For example, if someone turns 65 in 2019 but defers complete (Pt A and B) Medicare enrollment in order to continue HSA contributions, I believe they would still be entitled to buy Plans F or HDF at some future date.

Medicare Supplement HDF is going away in 2020

That is a phrase from the article which I think is incorrect. I further think CMS and/or state insurance departments are preparing to start penalizing agents for making that type of statement.

That is a phrase from the article which I think is incorrect. I further think CMS and/or state insurance departments are preparing to start penalizing agents for making that type of statement.

If there is no Plan F, then there will not be a HDF. Pretty sure about that.

And no, no agent is going to get fined or penalized for saying that.

Plan F is not "going away" either.

and I believe that agents are in danger of being fined or penalized for saying that plans C and F are "going away". The phrase is being misused as a high pressure. illegitimate sales tool.

Medicare Supplement HDF is going away in 2020; also, standard Plan F and Plan C won’t be available to new beneficiaries after January.

There's the full sentence from the article. I believe it is incorrect as far as HDF is concerned.

Back