High Deductible plans F and G

My goal is that Seniors are comfortable and trusting enough of me that if they do get that cold call or mailer they say "I already got a guy" and they call me with the information. I tell each of them that agents do not set prices, carriers do so I will have the same price as anyone else and I have all major carriers.

That's fine and good. I agree with what you're saying. Part of their, "I got a guy" for me is to be proactive.

I think the idea of being proactive is pushing them to change. It's not. It's informing them they have what's best for them or saying because of changes in the market place, you have x option... Then let them choose.

If I can ethically turn my 3 year Comm over, I will. Ethically meaning, is it in the best interest of the client.

Last edited:
If I can ethically turn my 3 year Comm over, I will. Ethically meaning, is it in the best interest of the client.

That's just the way the Med Supp business has become. I like a 3 year cycle, but some people want to switch every year or 2. A 3 year cycle is a win win for the clent and for you.

The client saves enough premium to take out FE, Dental, Cancer insurance, and you get a fresh 3 years on your FYC and help fill the gaps in their coverage with the money you saved them....."Would you like fries with that?"

Good time to get referrals too. :yes:

I don't think that projecting Medicare Beneficiaries behavior in regard to Plan F, based on historic actions in regard to Plan J, is a completely valid analogy.

Page 10 of Choosing a Medigap Policy seems to me to present a dramatic difference between Plan J transitioning in the "old days" and Plan F transitioning "today".

Given regular agent stories in the forums about the "emotional" choice of Plan F over the "logical" choice of Plan G, I think that Plan F will have a longer life with higher volume of in-force policies than some currently think is likely.

dave020's post above about Blue shield California is also a great reminder that carrier actions are a factor in this too. It doesn't make any difference how "legal" a policy is if no carriers choose to offer it. (And apparent F extra meets the requirements of A + F)

I continue to look forward to all the 2020 F and G (and N) pricing and carrier name discussions which will start showing up here in a few months.

That's just the way the Med Supp business has become. I like a 3 year cycle, but some people want to switch every year or 2. A 3 year cycle is a win win for the clent and for you.

The client saves enough premium to take out FE, Dental, Cancer insurance, and you get a fresh 3 years on your FYC and help fill the gaps in their coverage with the money you saved them....."Would you like fries with that?"

Good time to get referrals too. :yes:

Thank you. Someone gets what I'm saying.. I didn't think it was that hard to understand. :no:

Maybe I wasn't explaining it right... I started to think maybe I was being a jerk... I think the Internet and change in information availability is going to shorten the timeframe.

Especially as we start phasing into more tech savvy gens.

Page 10 of Choosing a Medigap Policy seems to me to present a dramatic difference between Plan J transitioning in the "old days" and Plan F transitioning "today".

Given regular agent stories in the forums about the "emotional" choice of Plan F over the "logical" choice of Plan G, I think that Plan F will have a longer life with higher volume of in-force policies than some currently think is likely.

I continue to look forward to all the 2020 F and G (and N) pricing and carrier name discussions which will start showing up here in a few months.

I think this is kind of an astute observation. Plan F isn't going to disappear overnight, which is why I wouldn't say it's gone.

However, to each their own, as long as they keep themselves out of trouble.

So, the writing is on the wall.

Aarp uhc sent out an email to AZ agents (and many other states) stating that if clients want to move to plan G with NO underwriting, they had 30 days to do so. Not sent to clients.

So, only agents that sell policies got the email. Not somebody who only reads cms and Google websjtes.

A week later, they sent notice of an 8% increase on plan F and a 0% increase on plan G. That's a sign it may not act like plan J over next decade.

Do your carriers allow future moves to plan G with no underwriting? Just in case u are wrong and they are stuck.

Do you believe the rate stability over the long run will ne in plan G or plan F? I just hope you can control future part B deductible increases. Nope.

Why deal with either when u can just recommend plan G, and actually grow your book of biz vs having to rewrite and regurgitate the same clients over and over. If u teach them to move for $10 to $20, you will regret the constant "they raised my rates" phone calls.

With plan G, I dont have to worry about any of these carrier games, or rate gains due to plan F pool changes, and my client owns the 2nd best plan available, and they saved money too.

I realize other states dont have the same narrow carrier option with 8 yrs of stability being cheapest in their market, like I have with AARP uhc.

I'm probably just blessed right now with a narrow stable market

Last edited:
When the G plan replaces F as the "go to" plan for GI we will see higher rate increases. GI impacts loss ratio's (which drive premiums) more than anything else.

It will take a few years before GI poisons the G well like it has the F plan well.

Another reason why F rates are so high is because the carriers can get away with it. This is especially true for carriers like UHC, MOO and BX. They write a lot of business direct, especially UHC and BX.

T65 calls the carrier (or AARP) and asks for advice. "We have a plan with $0 OOP and the premium is only $X. How does that sound?"

SIGN ME UP.

Once F is no longer an option UHC and BX will continue to get the majority of their business direct. They don't need agents but they tolerate them.

So, the writing is on the wall.

Aarp uhc sent out an email to AZ agents (and many other states) stating that if clients want to move to plan G with NO underwriting, they had 30 days to do so. Not sent to clients.

So, only agents that sell policies got the email. Not somebody who only reads cms and Google websjtes.

This is old news. This was discussed on the Forum 6 months ago? :yes:

LD means you no harm. :nah:

This is old news. This was discussed on the Forum 6 months ago? :yes:

LD means you no harm. :nah:

No harm? How many great veteran agents left the forum because of him?

Sure, 6 months ago. But good enough example to be repeated to build a case for G, and for all the newer agents that actually produce.

Back