High Liver Enzymes, CT Scan/Biopsy normal

GreenSky

Guru
5000 Post Club
Henderson, NV
I have a 36 year old that is trying to get $1,000,000 in term insurance but has had problems for years.

He went to Banner several years ago (not through me) and they discovered high liver enzymes. The issued a rated policy for $500,000.

A few months ago, my friend had a CT scan along with a biopsy to find out why the enzymes are high. Both test came out completely normal.

He does not drink nor have any other physical issues. The best guess right now is Pru at standard. Other carriers were offering std. to table 2 AFTER they saw the results of the scan and biopsy.

It's obvious he does not have a liver problem yet these carriers seem to hold more weight for blood tests than biopsy.

Is there a carrier that will actually speak with an agent and understand this guy should really be preferred? Going through a GA is not helping.

What do you life experts think?

Rick

Let's just say, when I hit 36 I had the same deal and I quit drinking for a while and the enzymes went down. Are you sure no drinky-poo?

Are his current liver enzymes still elevated? If so, are they abnormal or just elevated? I the tests still show abnormal readings, something is wrong and I would take a std offer with Pru and then recommend a thorough medical workup to get to the cause. I have a similar case currently and it did turn out to be alcohol related, his wife didn't even know. I would assume he has been tested for hepatitis.

There are many reasons to have evaluated LFT (liver functions tests) not just alcohol but also hepatitis, even some medications can cause ELFT’s (Tylenol and Advil are very common culprits).
If the proposed insured has had a follow-up with a gastroenterologist (I would assume he has since he had a biopsy) – and all the results are with deemed “normal” by the attending physician. The applicant is VERY likely insurable. I would say very best Standard.
(NOTE: normal for some is not normal for others – it is based on the averages within the population.)
Anna
Brokers Alliance
800-290-7226 ext 12

"Is there a carrier that will actually speak with an agent and understand this guy should really be preferred?"

NO.

Ok now that we've answered that question.. put an application in and see what the results are. If they come back clear great, if they come back not so good... he's not so good, both he and you have to get used to it.

As much as you want to or he wants to his body chemistry is his body chemistry.. each condition or reading has a mathmatical value assigned to it based on probability. They plug it in to their formula and spit out an answer. His body chemistry is making the results less than preferred risk. It isn't personal, it's the law of probability...

I've run into these kind of situations before and sometimes ya just have to deal with what is, not what you think it should be.

There are many reasons to have evaluated LFT (liver functions tests) not just alcohol but also hepatitis, even some medications can cause ELFT’s (Tylenol and Advil are very common culprits).
If the proposed insured has had a follow-up with a gastroenterologist (I would assume he has since he had a biopsy) – and all the results are with deemed “normal” by the attending physician. The applicant is VERY likely insurable. I would say very best Standard.
(NOTE: normal for some is not normal for others – it is based on the averages within the population.)
Anna
Brokers Alliance
800-290-7226 ext 12

Anna:

I've run this by your office and the response is std to table 2. Banner wrote him 6 years ago standard plus and the only thing that changed is now the CT and Biopsy show normal liver. Why the increased rate now?

Rick

"Why the increased rate now?"

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything as I have clients in the same boat.... You're just beating a dead horse here.

You're asking for a rating any company is not willing to give based on his med history. It is what it is... I'm sorry.

Until you put an app in and they test, nothing can be promised and nothing is certain. A GA can't tell you for sure because they would be simply lying to you. It's going to depend on the carriers underwriting formula and what they'll underwrite at what rate..

Obviously the guy's a nice guy and you support him because he's nice to you as well. However an insurance carrier doesn't care if he's a great guy or the biggest d ick in the world..they just look at is he underwritable and at what cost..

This is why Vets don't really work on their own animals... sometimes you're so emotionally attached you can't use your business head. Your business head in it's knowledge knows the answer to your question...your emotional head just won't let you listen.

Again, I'm sorry and I am not making fun of you. Insurance is math surrounded by emotion.

Back