High Risk Long Haul Trucking

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
Owner/operator with just the owner and his 1 truck and trailer. Had a large loss last year and was non-renewed. Progressive won't write do to 2 out of service inspections. National Indemnity turned down back in May. My only other hope was Prime, but they do not currently write in KY. Anyone have any ideas?

No hazmat and no raw materials. Classified as general freight with about a 700 mile radius.

Thank you JLanier. I've reached out to them. Unfortunately, they won't quote without a contract in place and I don't believe I have any brokers with access to them. So now to talk to the agency partners and see if this is something we continue to pursue or not.

Good luck! I use Berkshire Hathaway Homestate on a lot of the higher risks. They're not gonna be the cheapest but are open to anything most of the time. Since Berkshire owns National Indemnity I'm not sure that they'll look at it but it may be another option worth checking into.

Lancer declined due to them not covering any equipment older than 15 years. His truck is a 1994. So I will be reaching out to Homestate as well.

I wouldn't waste your time, no one is going to write it. Once NICO and Progressive have passed usually only Prime is the only other option. Obviously not an option for you in KY and regardless they would be $25k for liability only with likely 40% earned on this risk.

I work with both NICO and homestate- homestate is the tighter of the two generally. Pretty much three strikes here, bad loss, bad safety scores and old equipment.

Benk, where were you yesterday? I alreadu walked as I figured that was the case. Ill check DOT periodically and wait for out of service to fall off. Then Progressive will write. Prime would have been 16K ish..not 25.

Prime is always high. True carrier of last resort. An insured like this would be best served by liability in a risk retention group like spirit rrg or global hawk and pd and cargo most likely in the London market. The transportation market is so limited especially for nonstandard business that many of them are going with RRGs and the good strong ones with 'A' rated re-insurance are widely accepted and the insurers generally have no problem getting loads. I have several markets for non standard pd/cargo if you need help placing those lines. I stay away from the auto liability because it's too service intensive and the market is too volatile.

Thank you Reed. I will have to do some homework as I'm not quite understanding all of what you are saying. I'm still new to commercial and Trucking/Transport is brand new to me. Thank you for some alternatives. Do these RRGs require direct contracts or accesed via brokers?

Latest posts

Back