High Value Term W/ Whole Conversion Company and Strategy Thoughts

jcc

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some good advice here after being disappointed with what my previous broker was trying to sell me. I've moved on to a new broker (who I do like very much, but I'm still not sure if my needs are being met, not because of competence or integrity but because at this point I'm not sure that they are familiar or representing some of the products that I feel may best meet my needs (or at least that I think may)...so it could be me, probably is. Example is that they are not differentiating between the 3 or 4 offerings they have with regards to conversion terms or indicating anything better could be out there. Yet many firm names (e.g. ONL, Mass Mutual, Penn, Guardian, NYL etc.) are not mentioned. AND I WOULDN"T KNOW WHERE TO GO!

So, bottom line is I am looking for some names of companies that I should check with that have favorable terms for high value term policies with favorable conversion features for a healthy (preferred) N/S 44 YO male.

I'm thinking (strategy 1) a $2.0 or 2.5M 20 Year term policy and also a $500K to $750K 30 year term policy (e.g. to stack them). Possibly convert the one of the policies at some point (but not right now or in the next few years) to whole life.

Alternatively (strategy 2), to stack some $500K policies (e.g. 10 yr, 15, 20, 25, and 30) and to at some point convert a portion to whole life.

From searching the forums, it appears Ohio National is about the only one really highly regarded still for conversion terms. I saw some reference to Midland, but some other concerns about Midland lately are a bit off-puting.

One thought I had recently was that I saw Ohio National recommended, but they don't seem to offer a 30 yr term at all so that might or might not be good. So that brings me to (strategy 3) Maybe get a 750K 20 yr from them for possible conversion purposes to whole and another 2.5M 20 yr from someone else like AG)? By doing this, I could get 5 to 10 yrs down the road and do a conversion to whole at that point should financial conditions be more favorable, or much later should health reasons justify.

I want to stick to term for the bulk as it's primary purpose as I am going to be starting a new business and not ready to commit 30K a year in funds for something like an over-funded VUL (which is something else that was suggested).

I'd like to have coverage like I described should something happen in the next 20 years, and with some additional protection going for years 20 to 30, with not less than $500K of life insurance to leave no matter when I pass. (Hopefully additional at that point will be via other assets).

The strategy of stacking (or laddering I think it's called) seems like it makes sense to me as it may allow for some economy while considering the financial need should decrease. So comments on this idea are appreciated, but what I think I really could use is some guidance as to other carriers. I've already looked at qualitytermlifedotcom and term4saledotcom and as mentioned had some quotes for a previous broker, but many of the carriers that may be better able to meet these needs don't seem to be listed.

It also allows me to limit the amount I have to spend right now when I am also trying to get a new business going.

My current broker is suggesting American General for the term as their rates seem to be quite good, but it doesn't seem like their conversion terms are all that great. Obviously I want maximum flexibility on where, when (e.g. to what age and with what maximum flexibility), and to what product I can do the conversion, maximizing credit for premiums paid to that point.

So long questions, but can the esteemed professionals offer some suggestions? Regardless of what strategy makes the most sense, finding a company with good convertible products (and not just now, but likely in the future) seems to be an issue.

To make matters worse, I saw that even ONL's langauge which can allow for conversion to any permanent offering currently offered (at the time of conversion), ...well who knows what quality of policies will be available years down the road!

It seems that many of the products out there are not going to be indicated by an agent that only deals with a handful of products, so I really need some help as to a shortlist of what companies to check out.

The rest goes without saying, no crappy companies, bad faith, not stable etc.

but most importantly, Thank you.

ONL is a great company with good term rates for healthy rate classes and quality conversion options. ART, 10 and 20 year term are the available options. No 30 year term.

I'm not aware of any 30 year term carriers that offer a full portfolio of products for conversion (WL and UL). To my knowledge, most are going to be a stripped down version of UL.

Mass and Guardian are not going to generally be touted or even offered by a brokerage firm, as you have to go through a GA channel. Penn Mutual will contract you directly.

I write for all of these carriers, but do wish that one of them offered a 30 year term. A lot of the 30 year products were pulled off the table a few years ago.

Stock brokers never sold insurance until the deferred annuity was introduced then they all got Life Licensed, or at least those who wanted to sell the deferred annuity.

The point is I've met very few brokers who know close to what the professional Life Agents, those you see on here, know.

For instance the first thing I'd ask is why whole life? I love Whole Life for cash accumulation but as a contract purely for permanent death benefit there are better options.

Love the stacking technique...
It's a real stain on our industry how many companies have restricted conversion privileges to what I like to call "red headed step child" policies. "convert in the 1st 5 years or you will be left with crap". SO here we are now recommending term be sold with the few remaining carriers that still allow us to convert to quality products... Will those companies implement the same dastardly conversion rules in the near future as well? Only time knows. NYL is available for brokerage but with a 10k-20k minimum premium. Guardian can and will broker a case as well. Seems most of the "larger" companies still allow for quality conversion privileges... but no one knows what will happen 10, 15 or 20yrs down the road. A precedence has been set. We saw how Transamerica just recently handled this dilemma... Simply announced "our best product is off the table NOW... and if you are pending... we are closing the case." I do feel much more confident with the Par products ands their availability for conversions in the distant future. Mainly because its expensive (properly funded). JMHO
Met, NYL, Mass, Guardian

MetLife still has 30 year term and convertible to WL; no GUL though. All the carriers have the same disclaimer on their conversion options to "currently available products". Decide on what you want to convert to then work backwards from there.

Remember to factor in the cost of the expensive cost of term from the Mutual companies that will covert (sometimes they're competitive in areas but usually not).

The cost of term is very competitive hence the crappy conversion products. I heard Principal is much better on conversion but even if they have Whole Life the cash buildup will be like the MetLife whole life which is not so hot.

----------

What does "high value term" mean? Never heard that!

I'm partial to mutual of omaha and north american. decent conversion options, and I think they both offer 30 year terms.

Stop over thinking this. If you like what he has, buy it. if not, don't....

I would also consider looking at a 2 mil term as cheap as you can get it(banner or am gen). and then tack on a 100k-200k IUL through North american.

That way you already have your permanent coverage that will have a decent cash value in 20-25 years when you want to retire. And you won't have to worry about converting to a "stellar" product. Just a thought

----------

What does "high value term" mean? Never heard that!

I think he means high face value

I would disagree with previous statements that the Mutuals are overpriced.

I also disagree that there is anything to worry about with selling Midland or NA. Midland is one of the easiest carriers I have ever done business with. Every carrier gets sued. And Midland cant help that the CA DOI changed the rules retroactively.
They have fantastic products that are extremely competitive. Plus they have excellent ratings. When you compare the product lineup, the premiums, the options, & the financial ratings; there is not other carrier that has as well rounded of an offering as Midland does.
You would be doing both your client and yourself a disservice by not offering them.

But to get back to the big Mutual vs. "competitive carriers" discussion.

For a $500k 20y term at age 45 at Std rates:
MNL is $1,135/y
Mass Mutual is $1,355/y. (only 10 year conversion option)
Guardian is $1,680/y with full term conversion option
Guardian is $1,550 with 5 year conversion option

Also, Guardian offers a 30 year term as well. For the same scenario at 30 years MNL is at $2k/y and Guardian is at $2,600/y.

So if the client cares about conversion to a WL, and wants one of the best WL products on the market, then Guardian is a strong choice. If they want conversion to a UL or IUL then MNL or NA is the best choice by far.

It is just about what the client wants and needs. If they want conversion to a WL then go with Guardian. ON is a good choice too, but I forget how long they allow you to convert to WL. ON will have term rates that are closer to MNL thought.

But a $200-$400 difference per year is not that large imo. Especially when you are getting one of the highest financial ratings in the industry for the extra money. And if WL is the end goal, then it is a no brainer.

It's not that large for certain clients otherwise it's a lot. But you're right, if you KNOW a conversion to whole life is likely then i agree.

Back