HIPAA Release

bricegill9999

Expert
As a licensed health/ life insurance agent, can I ask a client's doctor to complete a form to verify that the client/ patient has a particular medical condition, if the client/ patient signs a HIPAA release form?

As a licensed health/ life insurance agent, can I ask a client's doctor to complete a form to verify that the client/ patient has a particular medical condition, if the client/ patient signs a HIPAA release form?

The answer is yes. If the patient fills out a release with the doctor they can disclose information to you. However, like David said, why do you need it?

If the insurance company needs it for Underwriting, they will take care of it.

Even if your "client" signs the form, doesn't mean the doc is compelled to honor it.

I can't think of a single reason why an AGENT would need to verify a medical diagnosis with a doctor.

Agents do more harm than good when they try to be "helpful".

If you suspect your client is being dishonest you have two choices.
  • say you cannot help and walk away
  • submit the app and see what happens
MOST carriers will only request medical records following an underwriting review. But very FEW carriers even take it that far. Too expensive and time consuming. They make their decision based on answers to health questions and an Rx history.

I can't think of a single reason why an AGENT would need to verify a medical diagnosis with a doctor.

Had a client a few years back who applied for coverage and we waited and waited for info from the local cancer treatment center to send paper work to the Ins company... finally I went to the center and request the information be sent in before the company closed the file... I was able to get resolution.

I had to go back to the center again for another client and resolved that issue.

I have had to show up at the doctors... and push the paper work along... they faxed it while I was there.

As to needing to receive medical info from a doctor... that I do not do... you take on an extra amount of risk when handling that information and I choose not to. :no:

However; who knows... :)

Back