Hired to Sell P&C, Can I Sell Life on the Side?

Jul 13, 2016

1. Bigsal22

Bigsal22 New Member

I came over from selling strictly life and now work for a firm that hired me to strictly focus on P&C. However I still have people from my pipeline contacting me for life.
    Obviously I want to keep my full commission and keep them in my book, not that of the new company I came on with, where I am salary plus but, do not own my book, the company does.
    My real question/concern is that if I make a few sales, my new bosses will be able to see it and either want a cut or want to grab them and put them into their book.
    What are the possibilities of this happening? I am still appointed with my life carriers and would be doing this on my own time from my own resources.
    Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Bigsal22, Jul 13, 2016
  2. Josh

Josh Retired Agent, Current List Broker

State:
    Virginia
    If you're getting a salary it typically means anything that can go through the agency should go through the agency. Best thing to do is to talk to them.

Josh, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Gulfman

Gulfman Guru

State:
    Florida
    Good question Sal.

How long you been at your new position?
    Did you disclose that you had a LH Lic to your boss when you signed up?

Gulfman, Jul 14, 2016
  4. Bigsal22

Bigsal22 New Member

Yes, they were aware I had been focusing on Life exclusively before. I may bring it to their attention but, if the split is anything like it is on P&C, it's going to hurt.

Bigsal22, Jul 14, 2016
  5. Josh

State:
    Virginia
    If it's not worth the salary then move on, but my guess is you like the steady pay.

Josh, Jul 14, 2016
  6. Gulfman

Gulfman Guru

State:
    Florida
    If his LH is paying anything.....any cuts taken would be robbery....effectively negating his salary.

Gulfman, Jul 14, 2016
  7. Josh

State:
    Virginia
    When did LH get into the P&C world?

Josh, Jul 14, 2016
  8. biaomaha

biaomaha Expert

Talk to them but yes normally on salary what you write will go through the agency . Also if your making more on the L H side they may not be happy with paying a p and c salary and not seeing numbers.

If you were in my agency honestly they would be written through agency codes and anything you had prior I would let you keep the trailers on your side.

biaomaha, Jul 15, 2016
  9. Bigsal22

Bigsal22 New Member

So I spoke with the agency owners and they offered me a 50% split on commission on those in my pipeline and any clients from our current prospecting currents that I can interest into Life.
    The upside is they want me to just hand them over to the Life department so I dont do any work beyond planting the seed.
    That said, I believe I will push the few I have from my pipeline over and then just spend some time focusing on P&C before reapproaching Life.
    My ultimate long term goal is to have my own life lines going, so I may just stick around for a year and then try venturing out on my own again but, with some hard found knowledge.
    Thoughts?

Bigsal22, Jul 15, 2016
  10. Bigsal22

Bigsal22 New Member

I never got an actual answer to the original question. If I did write business on my own on the side, would a current employer be notified or able to see what I have written?