Hiring A Sales Assistant

nyc2phi

Guru
1000 Post Club
If you were (or already have) hire a sales assistant that's sole duty was to put prospects in your pipeline, what duties would you delegate to him/her?

What kind of compensation would you offer to them?

Define "put prospects in your pipeline".

That will basically determine the duties. Do you want the assistant to cold call, work leads, network, etc?

If cold calling, maybe you just want the person to develop the lead and then hand it over to you. Working leads, perhaps the person needs to talk to and quote the lead and then you just close. Or maybe your assistant needs to close the lead too.

Again, what you want will determine the compensation and compensation method.

You should want your compensation method to give an average person roughly the average compensation for that line of work in your area.

Define "put prospects in your pipeline". That will basically determine the duties. Do you want the assistant to cold call, work leads, network, etc? If cold calling, maybe you just want the person to develop the lead and then hand it over to you. Working leads, perhaps the person needs to talk to and quote the lead and then you just close. Or maybe your assistant needs to close the lead too. Again, what you want will determine the compensation and compensation method. You should want your compensation method to give an average person roughly the average compensation for that line of work in your area.

Thanks Vol

I'm thinking more initiate the lead. Maybe call existing book to set appointments for rounding accounts, x-date, etc.

Unlicensed role so no selling just lead generation of some sort.

Sorry it isn't more helpful. But once you determine what kind of prospects you want the assistant to generate, everything else will start to fall in line.

Since the person will be unlicensed, I would probably pay an hourly wage plus a bonus per lead, and be very clear what qualifies as a lead. Also, if there is a disagreement down the line, I would pay for that lead and clarify what is and is not a lead. If you are otherwise happy with your employee, don't let a dispute over a small amount of money sour his/her workplace morale.

I would aim for an average person to make average to slightly above average income compared to the local market. Obviously you are looking for a superstar, but taking average if profitable isn't bad.

Back