Hiring Good P&C Producers

SueNami

Expert
Just curious where/how you found and hired your best producers?

How you knew they'd succeed?

What you had to pay them to get them on board?

Any hiring/recruiting/scouting tips?

...I'm a blank slate, looking to learn and absorb good advice!

Inb4 someone says Craigslist.

I suppose public/local events could be a good start.

Anyone can be a good producer if they have the desire to be. The hard part is finding the right sales trainer.

For example, my "mentor" sucks. She sucks so effing bad. I've never had anyone shoot down an idea faster than her. I was telling her about a Grant Cardone video a couple weeks ago and before I could get the idea out she said "yeah I saw that too don't do it". Which was bullshit because the video was just put out the night before and I know she doesn't watch youtube. Let alone any sales training videos.

And you know how many times she has showed me how to process a policy once the prospect decides to purchase? ONE time, last week and it was the first and only policy I've written in the 3 weeks Ive been there. Meanwhile she has told me several times that the next time she writes a policy, she'll grab me so I know what to do. My confidence was up well after I processed that one policy. I know I could have felt this confident weeks ago had she actually did what she said she was going to do.

And every time I ask her a question, she gives me an answer to a question I didn't even ask! WTF?!

I'm at fault too for not responding better. Just last night someone on here gave me a script to use. When she saw it today she gawked at it and shook her head like I'm a retard. Little does she know it actually worked for me today.

Anyway, I'm ranting here. But I truly believe that a good mentor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to crafting a top notch producer efficiently and effectively.

I agree with dantheman. A great mentor makes being a good producer much easier. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum where I've been blessed with an excellent mentor and my confidence and sales have benefitted greatly from him.

Anyone can be a good producer if they have the desire to be. The hard part is finding the right sales trainer.

For example, my "mentor" sucks. She sucks so effing bad. I've never had anyone shoot down an idea faster than her. I was telling her about a Grant Cardone video a couple weeks ago and before I could get the idea out she said "yeah I saw that too don't do it". Which was bullshit because the video was just put out the night before and I know she doesn't watch youtube. Let alone any sales training videos.

And you know how many times she has showed me how to process a policy once the prospect decides to purchase? ONE time, last week and it was the first and only policy I've written in the 3 weeks Ive been there. Meanwhile she has told me several times that the next time she writes a policy, she'll grab me so I know what to do. My confidence was up well after I processed that one policy. I know I could have felt this confident weeks ago had she actually did what she said she was going to do.

And every time I ask her a question, she gives me an answer to a question I didn't even ask! WTF?!

I'm at fault too for not responding better. Just last night someone on here gave me a script to use. When she saw it today she gawked at it and shook her head like I'm a retard. Little does she know it actually worked for me today.

Anyway, I'm ranting here. But I truly believe that a good mentor can make all the difference in the world when it comes to crafting a top notch producer efficiently and effectively.
Glad you're having success with it! Which Uncle G video are ya talking about?

Here is the rub...

-On one hand you want an entrepreneur type spirit but also can be trained like a horse, hard to domesticate a wild horse. And if they are really wild they probably want to be their own boss one day and come hell or high water that issue is going to get in the way and cause problems between the two of you long term.

-On the other hand you find someone with no backbone and you likely have nothing because the first sign of bad times or a bad moment and they flee. They can't handle rejection. You can boss them around and tell them what to do but they will never be producers in the sense you would like.

-There is also the issue that if they wanted it as bad as you then they would likely start their own agency. It's the truth. You kind of need someone who is good on the phones but dumb enough to not ask a lot of questions or be worried about their arc in life...that's a little depressing when you think about it. You gotta find someone you can exploit for your own profit...it's true and you know it.

Why would a really good producer want to work for you? They can get hired anywhere because maybe 20-30% of the sales staff or lic agents in these independent insurance agencies actually produce from my notes so far.

Back