Hit Fire Hydrant W/ No Damage And Left Scene

Fire_Hydrant

Hey guys and gals,

I was in a private gated subdivision working earlier today and I accidentally backed into a fire hydrant going very slowly. There was zero damage to the hydrant or anything on the street/property, just damage to my vehicle. After getting some estimates, the damage to my truck is worse than I thought and so now I want to file a claim with my insurance company.

My concern is that considered a hit and run? Can I get in trouble with either the insurance or the police for simply not contacting them and filing a police report while on the scene? I have nothing to hide about the accident except that I did not call anyone before I left the scene. Would never leave a scene if someone else was involved. There was nobody around when it happened so I don't even know who I would have talked to (without trespassing) when I hit the hydrant as it happened in a very small rural community with homes spread out on large acreage properties. Again no damage to anything but my own vehicle.

What will the insurance company do if I file a claim. Can I get in trouble via the insurance company with the law for not reporting it while on the scene? Thanks so much for any input.

Is this a joke? Is this the type of feedback I should expect from this forum?

Yes and yes.

That said, hit and run is a legal matter. As long as the the hydrant doesn't accuse you of anything, you're fine. Hit and run is usually in reference to actual damage to another, not merely your own property. Now, if it was a person or their car, that's very different.

Last edited:
Josh is typically your point of reason. There is a good chance that if the first 2-3 posts are heckling and getting off topic, then just scroll down to Josh or djs for your answer.

Don't look at me.

File the claim, its not that big of a deal. Hit and run is when you damage other property (or people). No real issue if no damage was done to the hydrant.

Dan

Don't look at me.

File the claim, its not that big of a deal. Hit and run is when you damage other property (or people). No real issue if no damage was done to the hydrant.

Dan

Dan is right about the accident.

Last edited:
fire hydrant,

Are you referring to a commercial auto policy or personal auto policy?

You mentioned working with your truck so I assume you meant your commercial auto policy (if you're referring to a personal auto policy, your claim will most likely be denied).

I also assume you are aware of your deductible and that the damages exceed that. If so, just file the claim.

man, im curious as to what you guys said lol. but yeah,

hit and run, would only apply if you ran away from another car or the car ran away from you.

comprehensive should cover minus deductible.

How about, " leaving the scene of an accident". This is where you need an agent, not a cartoon, To word the claim right.

Back