Hit Open Car Door

debral55

This is a discussion I had with somebody, so I decided to ask here. If someone's car door is hanging open when you're trying to pull into a parking space, and you hit it with the side of your car.... whose fault is it?

Depends.

If you drove in too fast and the door was already opened, you're at fault.

If you drove in properly and the other door suddenly opened, then the other driver is at fault.

The trouble starts when there are no witnesses and each of you make biased and self serving statements that cancel each other out.

Then it's 50/50 which makes each of you partly at fault from the point of view of your insurance companies.

Although each company is entitled to believe their own insured and completely deny the other party's claim.

Bottom line:

Be very, very careful and watchful when you pull into parking spaces.

Be very, very careful and watchful when you open your car door when you park.

The door was already part way open and she tried to pull in around it, but either someone pushed it open more or the wind caught it and pushed it.

Sounds like unsafe driving to me. Pedestrians have the right of way. An open car door would indicate the possibility of a pedestrian appearing at any moment.

In addition, if the end of the car door was across the yellow line, the parking place being pulled into was not really empty.

Depends.

Bottom line:

Be very, very careful and watchful when you pull into parking spaces.

Be very, very careful and watchful when you open your car door when you park.

Few years back I was pulling into parking spot. Short kid that I couldn't see his head above other cars ran out from behind another parked car. If it'd been when I was 18 when I drove with no fear, about 95% sure my car would have made contact with that kid.

Sometimes think about that kid when I'm pulling into a parking spot or driving in a parking lot. No smooshed kids under my car or as hood ornaments.

Back