Hit & Run, Car Likely Totaled. :(

tRidiot

:no:

So... my niece's car (I own it and support her, paying for her college, etc.) was hit the other night while parked legally on a public street in front of my house. Damage is to the left rear quarter panel and bumper.

Got some estimates today, ranging from $2,400 to $4,300. Insurance is Shelter, in Oklahoma.

Car is a '99 Camry in very good cond, 143k miles, only additional equipment is a cheapie aftermarket radio and a higher-end 2-way paging alarm and remote start system (~$500 or more installed).

Of the 6 estimates I got today, 4 were with Mitchell software and 2 of those 4 have a "-S" next to the quarter panel repair, indicating a structurally-necessary repair. I disagree and think it's mostly cosmetic, but hey... whaddya gonna do? The other 2 on Mitchell software did not indicate structurally-required.

The estimate provided by the shop my company (again, Shelter) has as their "Authorized Repair Center" used a different software. At the end of their estimate, it had a key for abbreviations used, with the same "-S" indicated for structurally-required repairs. NONE of the repairs listed in their estimate had this "-S" designation.

I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with Shelter's policy on selling back totaled vehicles, and how they may or may not determine whether any repairs are structurally required? I would like to total it out (NADA shows me about $4275 value not accounting for the aftermarket alarm). Value minus my $500 deductible, I am going to assume I'll end up with maybe $3500? If I can buy it back from them for $750-1000, then have some shadetree mechanic pound out the dent, bondo, prime and spraypaint it, add a new bumper cover and I'm done with $1500-2000 in my pocket, then just carry liability on it from now on?

I have not filed a claim with Shelter yet, as I am trying to get my ducks in a row, be prepared and educated and have a game plan for how to deal with things if they try to lowball me or something.

It is a great car, super SUPER reliable, well-maintained, just put new tires and complete tuneup (probably $500 altogether) a couple of months ago. A little ugly rear quarterpanel (after cheapie fix-up) doesn't affect its reliability, and my niece drives it to college 60+ miles one-way each day... I need her to have something reliable and fuel-efficient.

I don't think I'm going to be able to buy anything comparable for the $3-4k I am sure the insurance company will offer me, so I'd like to keep it.

Am I on the right track? Am I delusional? I've done some searching, but haven't found much regarding buybacks in Oklahoma or Shelter insurance.

I'd appreciate any help anyone here can provide. I also have some pics, if that might help... but I will have to PM them to anyone who wants them, no links allowed in my posts yet.

Thanks in advance!

most policy i've seen lets you buy the car back, it'll have a salvage title and you can do whatever you want with it afterwards.

Depending on state laws, you might have to get it re certified to drive it legal, because of structural damage

Back