Hitting the Ground Running

mr_furly

Expert
FL
To start off...Ive been searching this forum nonstop, and I realize versions of this thread have been made before...
...but I havent seen this particular question answered.

I received my P&C license a few days ago, and once I get back from vacation (im currently out of the country) im going to look for a producer position at an indie.

My question is...

In the first month or so, what should a brand new producer be doing to stir up new business.
I realize the long term game is networking...and I understand that.
But what about the right now?

The options seem to be:

1. Door knocking (I live in a major city which is made up of mostly apartment buildings/condos)

2. Buying a list (essentially cold calling for personal lines)

3. Buying leads (good but expensive)

4. Calling former/orphan clients (seeing if I can wrangle back old leads/customers).

What would be the best use of my time outside of meeting COI's?

Thanks

To start off...Ive been searching this forum nonstop, and I realize versions of this thread have been made before...
...but I havent seen this particular question answered.

I received my P&C license a few days ago, and once I get back from vacation (im currently out of the country) im going to look for a producer position at an indie.

My question is...

In the first month or so, what should a brand new producer be doing to stir up new business.
I realize the long term game is networking...and I understand that.
But what about the right now?

The options seem to be:

1. Door knocking (I live in a major city which is made up of mostly apartment buildings/condos)

2. Buying a list (essentially cold calling for personal lines)

3. Buying leads (good but expensive)

4. Calling former/orphan clients (seeing if I can wrangle back old leads/customers).

What would be the best use of my time outside of meeting COI's?

Thanks
Does your city have suburbs?

If so start canvassing there a few hours in the evenings.

You can easily pick up between 5-10 leads a day that you can get back to the next day with quotes.

PM me if you need help with picking areas to knock and what to say when they open the door.

You can easily pick up between 5-10 leads a day that you can get back to the next day with quotes.

PM me if you need help with picking areas to knock and what to say when they open the door.

Awesome!!!

I love this idea.
Will be perfect to do on the weekends.

I'll probably be messaging you when I land a gig (and going through your old post).

Thanks so much

Great idea. I will make sure to try this too

Join some professional networking groups that have attorneys, realtors, loan officers, etc... It will take a little time, but you can build some credibility and eventually obtain referrals.

BUT... You need to show them how you can help THEM first. Give them VALUE and build respect. DO NOT simply ask for referrals. BE A CONNECTOR of referrals and in the long run, you will build meaningful relationships that will eventually help you.

You can start out by contacting your friends and family members for business. Then, ask them for three friends that might be interested in buying insurance. This is one of the fastest ways to grow your business.

For many people, that is the quickest way to lose some friends.

That's a conversation about strategy vs tactics.

Sandy Schussel's article may be helpful here:
https://www.insuranceproshop.com/NL/03-05-13.html

Connect, build rapport, offer your help
By Sandy Schussel

“I don’t want to cold call,” said Robert, a financial advisor in Michigan with whom I’ve been working. “But I don’t know how to fill my time.”

We were discussing Robert’s second career, which he has told me that he loves, but for which he just hasn’t been finding enough clients.

“Let’s start with the people you already know,” I advised.

“Well, I know a lot of people who could use my help, but I haven’t spoken to some of them in years,” Robert exclaimed. “And a lot of the ones I’m closer to are avoiding me now because I think I came across as too high pressure when I started, and it really turned them off.”

“That’s two different groups,” I told him. “The second one is going to take some time to rework, so let’s look first at the ones you haven’t yet spoken with.”

“Well, they taught us to just call them up and offer to sit down with them,” Robert offered. “But I’m not comfortable with that. How would I be able to convince them that I care about them if I called them up out of the blue after five years to ask for an appointment?” he asked.

An easy way to ask someone you haven’t had contact with in a long time if he or she might be interested in working with you is just to tell him or her that you wanted to reach out to everyone you knew, adding, "and that included you."

Rather than making a dozen calls to total strangers like a lot of advisors do, I decided I’d prefer to call people I actually have some connection with who might be ready - or have already started - to invest for their futures, and who might want some professional help.

"You were one of the people I thought of. Would you be open to discussing your situation with me for a couple of minutes?"

But this approach was way too “salesy” for Robert, so we discussed the approach that I actually prefer. It’s much slower, but I feel that it’s also much more effective.

Connect. Think about where your relationship is with someone. Could you call him? Could you email her? Could you connect with him or her on Facebook or LinkedIn? Then, start to move the relationship forward to the point where you can meet - for coffee or to see their businesses, or whatever.

Build rapport. Once you’ve connected and have started to engage, you will come to know your old contact better, and he or she will come to know you again. Inevitably, the discussion will turn to what you do for a living.

Offer your help. Once what you do is out in the open, there are many simple ways to suggest that you’d like to offer your services. Here’s one of the simplest: "So, that’s the work I’m doing, and I really enjoy it. Have you ever worked with anyone who does what I do?"

Whatever service you provide, once you have spread the word and continued the dialogue, don't forget to offer it up for help.

And I completely understand... having gone through all that myself. It seems that agency managers know WHAT to do, but they don't know HOW to teach it.

In my opinion, if you're going to work with "Friends and Family"... you've got to have ANOTHER way to market and get in front of people... and you work BOTH angles.

Here's the situation: you're up and running working other leads, prospecting, etc. Hopefully you're getting a rhythm going. You call up someone on your "project 200" and say something like -

"Dude! I was just thinking about you! I know it's been a long time, and I don't know if you know this or not - but I'm an insurance agent and I help people to take care of their loved ones if something happens to them (or whatever you want to say here). I've been meeting with a lot of people and their families, and there was this ONE family, and they reminded me of you, so I thought I'd give you a call! Look, I want to catch up, and maybe take 5 minutes to show you what I'm doing and go from there. Let's meet up for lunch - my treat!"

The idea is:
1) You're already meeting with people, so you don't NEED a sale, and are already experiencing enough success with what you're doing.
2) You want to catch up, so you can keep it friendly.
3) You simply explain what you're doing so they can make an informed decision.
4) This meeting is purely a professional courtesy.

It's far easier and more powerful to work your "project 200" when you already have other ways that you are doing to meet with people. It's a way to say that "I'll be happy to help you, but I don't NEED your business."

It's far easier and more powerful to work your "project 200" when you already have other ways that you are doing to meet with people. It's a way to say that "I'll be happy to help you, but I don't NEED your business."

Yep. It will go better for everyone.

When I added P&C, I did ask some friends for their help, to practice quoting. Now, it is up to them to come to me.

Back