Hitting the smaller business for life apps.

Agent5913

Expert
As many of you know, Im captive, new and have quotas to meet unlike the career agents I work with. Im supplemental for 35 more months or until I validate my Contract of 105 Life aps.

I dont know what this tactic is called but in my small town, we strive on the 5 to 50 employee, family owned deals. So, I call the owner. Tell him who I am with, Im not selling anything. If I am "in the area" Ill just roll right in on him/her and introduce myself.

I ask if they have a group LIFE plan? Not Health, LIFE. Naturally, he will say no. I acknowledge that at no cost to him, I set down with each and everyone of his clients and offer them Life insurance at an affordable rate.

I Let him know that there is no contracts for him to sign, nothing for him to pay. He asks whats in it for him?

I say, knowing that your employees have been offered a chance to secure their lives and families because you allowed my company in his business.

Ill be honest, you dont validate, you go bye,bye. If this works on the plan that I have, I will validate in 18 Months.

Comments, suggestions, critics, you cant hurt me. :laugh:

Merry Christmas.

Re: Hitting the smaller business for life aps.

How are YOU doing? Are you selling via their methodology?

If so, why would anyone's comments be of value to you?

Either what you do works for you... or it doesn't... and while many will try, in the end... after you learn the basics of sales.... nothing anyone says is going to make that much difference to your ability to sell and or be successful.

Al

"I Let him know that there is no contracts for him to sign, nothing for him to pay"

So you direct bill? Or does his payroll person have to take care of this? What is their time worth?

Remember to be successful, you need to come back to the business so make sure what you say is correct.

"I Let him know that there is no contracts for him to sign, nothing for him to pay"

So you direct bill? Or does his payroll person have to take care of this? What is their time worth?

Remember to be successful, you need to come back to the business so make sure what you say is correct.

I beleive he is selling straight life insurance, not group, as in the question, "do you have group life insurance?" At least that is what it sounds like to me. Kind of confusing post though, but who am I to point that finger?

If I am "in the area" Ill just roll right in on him/her and introduce myself.

From a customer prospective, if you are "in the area" then you have nothign to do. In other words, your services are not in demand so you have lots of free time on your hands.

Time to kill with the business owner.

No matter what you say, you are sending a message that your time is not important and you will talk to anyone who is willing to listen.

You need to present an air of confidence that does not seem to be coming across in your post. You seem more desparate than anything.

You might want to pick up a new book called

ask if they have a group LIFE plan

So . . . you are selling group life or individual life?

If you are asking the owner about GTL and then pitching individual life, this has got to be confusing.

Have you been given a script or just a rate manual and then shown the door? Either you had little or no training, or what you had was ineffective, or you have decided to reinvent the wheel.

I Let him know that there is no contracts for him to sign, nothing for him to pay. He asks whats in it for him?

I say, knowing that your employees have been offered a chance to secure their lives and families because you allowed my company in his business.

If this is your pitch then this is part of your problem.

No business owner is going to let "your company into his business" without first knowing the answer to the crucial question . . . what's in it for him (the owner).

Your pitch sounds like subterfuge. That is no way to instill confidence. Anyone can smell a pitch like that a mile away.

If you want to get somewhere with folks, you have to be straight forward. If you cannot convey the crux of your pitch in 20 seconds or less you have lost the sale before you began.

Sounds like you are selling PRD life insurance. If so, you need a smoother approach and more self confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

So how is Frank Rumbaskas different/better than SAndler?

The only thing I can think of is that he's got a whole bunch of "new" stuff to sell. Ever used any of his stuff?

Thats why I posted it. Because I need a niche, I want to enter these companies and get in front of their employees. Yes, I do have a sense of urgency. Not desperate yet. Ive not tried this yet. It needs to be tested. Calling up people out of my BOB aint gonna meet a quota. I need an edge. I need to talk to 50-100 peope per week about life. Not Group, just me and then and the ap on the table.

Thanks for the ideas.

I can't say that one is better than the other. Rambauskus has a new book that caught my eye. Most of it is stuff I know but there are a few gems in there.

He talks about sampling, which is not as easy to do in our industry as it would be if we were in the car business (take a test drive) or wine business (here, try a taste). He says how much more money he makes by first giving away information in hopes that people will wonder, "if his free stuff is good, then the stuff I pay for must be fantastic".

He also talks about how most networking functions are non-productive. (I imagine Bob #2 will disagree). Most of the folks at these functions are sales people trying to sell to the same folks you are.

Some of his stuff is new, some of it the same, but there are a few things in the book that really resonate with me. I am 50 pages into a 160 page book and have already picked up on some things I need to incorporate into 2008 strategy.

I need to talk to 50-100 peope per week about life.

Not just people, decision makers.

The best way to get the OK is to demonstrate to the owner what you will be doing. Ask for 3 minutes of uninterrupted time to show what you can do for the employees. If you can sell him on the idea then you are in the door.

The other thing to consider is this. Owners are paying these folks to work for him, not listen to a salesman. Your service needs to be done during THEIR time, not the owners. If you have blue collar workers who take a lunch break, try a lunch & learn. For the price of a few pizza's and Cokes you can pick up a few clients (or at least get their interest) during a 20 minute lunch break.

Think of ways that do not inconvenience the business owner and do not take away from his bottom line by turning workers away from making money for the owner to making money for you.

Tell him who I am with, Im not selling anything. If I am "in the area" Ill just roll right in on him/her and introduce myself.

Your not selling anything?

Your method has been played out for 70 years and it is a rough gig... Good luck, eventually you will burn out and realize the results are difficult to obtain. At least statistically...

Latest posts

Back