Hitting Up the Yard Sales

Insuranceman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Spring is right around the corner A great fun way to sell insurance is to go to your local yard sales and prospect for insurance. Last year I added an extra $ 8,000 AP just spending 2-3 hours on a Friday or Saturday going to yard sales. Just map out the local yard sales, pick a couple good products such as life insurance, med supp, make some fliers to hand out and start up a conversation.

The other bonus is you can find some great deals.

I have tried stuff like this before. Now, I will stop and talk/make apts with folks. But, I do this everywhere

Ha! I DID that! 15 years ago or so, I worked for Wells Fargo... inside a grocery store. As part of our "Customer Acquisition strategy", bankers were to go through the store and talk to them about their banking.

We actually did a short questionnaire about home equity needs and offered an entry into a raffle for a $50 gift card to that store.

No... it wasn't effective. I never got a sale doing those things. Why? Because we were interrupting them doing something else and it wasn't conducive to getting business NOW.

Besides, most people generally have one bank OR one bank and a credit union. You're looking to bring over the entire banking relationship, not just open a little account that won't get much use. And unless you probe for pain, people are content to be where they are. Plus, if they primarily banked at a credit union, people LOVE their credit unions... so they aren't about to open an account at the "evil for-profit bank".

And the only way I could feel comfortable interrupting people was to sound like I worked for the store. I'd ask "May I help you find anything?" to strike up the conversation. I'd help and then tell them who I really was and get into a conversation that way.

It's one of the things I really like about insurance sales. You're not requiring that the customer change everything in their financial life... AND you can make an excellent income while doing it.

My husband loves the grocery store. He waits outside for me, strikes up conversations with other men that are outside waiting on their wives, starts asking questions about their cars then onto the insurance. I have come out the store already and he's waving me over to meet people. He does not charge me much for the referrals either.

If you talk to enough people and pass out enough cards you can generate sales from anywhere. The key is to be smooth and fluid, quick to the point of what you can do for them and a wear nice smile.

I've wrote people that work the window at Jack N' The Box by passing out a card.

Latest posts

Back