Hitting Up the Yard Sales

That's even more crazy.

Actually I have written several cases on folks I met at their yard sales..... Especially when I was dealing in antiques and collectibles as well as selling insurance. . You are not trying to close the case at the yard sale, simply developing interest and scheduling a time to get back with them. Whatever works..

I meant crazy because if you're going to do this, why not knock on every door? It's no different. The fact they are having a yard sale doesn't make them more qualified to buy. If anything, it makes you look more sneaky and if I were running the yard sale, I would see right through you and your feigned interest in my sale.

I might as well walk up and down streets and talk to people cutting their lawns, walking their dogs or babies, or playing with their kids. It's no different than knocking doors as either way you are interrupting something.

OP should buy a booth (they are cheap!) at a flea market. At least that's not faking interest in anything.

i meant crazy because if you're going to do this, why not knock on every door? It's no different. The fact they are having a yard sale doesn't make them more qualified to buy. if anything, it makes you look more sneaky and if i were running the yard sale, i would see right through you and your feigned interest in my sale.

i might as well walk up and down streets and talk to people cutting their lawns, walking their dogs or babies, or playing with their kids. It's no different than knocking doors as either way you are interrupting something.

op should buy a booth (they are cheap!) at a flea market. At least that's not faking interest in anything.

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

I meant crazy because if you're going to do this, why not knock on every door? It's no different. The fact they are having a yard sale doesn't make them more qualified to buy. If anything, it makes you look more sneaky and if I were running the yard sale, I would see right through you and your feigned interest in my sale.

I might as well walk up and down streets and talk to people cutting their lawns, walking their dogs or babies, or playing with their kids. It's no different than knocking doors as either way you are interrupting something.

OP should buy a booth (they are cheap!) at a flea market. At least that's not faking interest in anything.

If you are into yard selling, which is a hobby, it makes sense to sell to those people. It's no different than selling to anyone else that you share a hobby or interest with.

Perhaps that is why it worked for me.. I wasn't feigning interest in their yard sale.. my primary purpose of being at the yard sale was not to sell insurance but to buy product for my shop or the auction. The insurance discussion was secondary.

Oh, and when I started the business I was taught the primary form of prospecting was cold knocking doors. it worked then and still works today.

Yard sales works for me because I enjoy going to yard sales. The people are always home and usually sitting around bored, easy to talk to and a lot of the time their spouse is there along with other family members. I get their interest in casual conversation and set an appointment for later. It just a way to take the grind of prospecting into something I enjoy. My best day I got 5 life apps out of 8 yard sales.

You sneaky SOB!

Just kidding of course. I love yard sales too and will hang around if the conversation is good. Now and then, they will ask what I do. My point is/was, they can usually see through you if you come out asking for an appointment.

Heck, you can make appointments going out to eat or hanging at the bar if you stay long enough. I just don't want to be "that guy" (and you all know who "that" guy is.....) who tries to force stuff down someone's throat by feigning interest in whatever it is they are doing.

You sneaky SOB!

Just kidding of course. I love yard sales too and will hang around if the conversation is good. Now and then, they will ask what I do. My point is/was, they can usually see through you if you come out asking for an appointment.

Heck, you can make appointments going out to eat or hanging at the bar if you stay long enough. I just don't want to be "that guy" (and you all know who "that" guy is.....) who tries to force stuff down someone's throat by feigning interest in whatever it is they are doing.

I'd rather be "that guy" and make money than a normal guy and be broke.

I'd rather be "that guy" and make money than a normal guy and be broke.

That's right. PCB has skinny kids......but he never "interrupts" anyone. I've never seen an insurance company give away a trip to an agent for that.

Progress is interrupting. Progress is good. Get out there and do some interrupting!

Back