HMO's...the quicker-picker upper?

policy doctor

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have observed a serious drive by some M.A. companies to promote their hmo's. And by serious I mean the cash incentives are large and the commissions tend to be bigger. Have you noticed that too?

So I'm wondering what is the big push here? Is there a quiet backlash to these pffs plans, or is the intent to deliver medical care at lower costs such as hmo's being accelerated? More efficient.

I'm thinking those provider contact staff are also costing millions to operate...perhaps they're not needed as much.

Thoughts?

I have observed a serious drive by some M.A. companies to promote their hmo's. And by serious I mean the cash incentives are large and the commissions tend to be bigger. Have you noticed that too?

So I'm wondering what is the big push here? Is there a quiet backlash to these pffs plans, or is the intent to deliver medical care at lower costs such as hmo's being accelerated? More efficient.

I'm thinking those provider contact staff are also costing millions to operate...perhaps they're not needed as much.

Thoughts?

Generally right on, I think, except for the last sentence. I think with Humana at least the same provider relations staff are the same folks (or dept.) who handle the contracting for HMO and PPO. There is probably more uncertainty with PFFS since it has been a political target of late. Also, in some areas, the HMO plans have richer benefits than any other plans. But in others an HMO plan may be weak.

Which companies are paying the higher commissions, etc? The only HMO's in my area (LA) that I am aware of are Humana, Wellcare and People's Health (Tenet). I'm assuming Tenet is all captive, b/c I've been totally unsuccessful in making contact with them about possibly selling their plans. Wellcare was here the day before the raid on their headquarters, saying they were making a much bigger push in Louisiana this year.

Back