Homeowners Declined Because of Space Heater Usage Scenario

4everalone

Hello everyone. I was recently in the market for switching insurance providers and one of them was Travellers Insurance. The application process was going smoothly until the "heating appliance" section became the topic. Once I mentioned that I did have an electric heater, the agent wanted to know specifically why I had it and how I intend to use it. I told her it was a backup heater in case the heat ever went out and we may use it in the bedroom. That last part basically became grounds for declining insurance unless I was going to sell the heater and produce some paperwork or the other that proves I sold it to a business like a university etc (her words). I do like the quote this company is giving me and I would like to know of valid forms of sale others may have used to overcome such a situation.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: The easiest method for me to dispose would be the local donation store that will give me a small receipt that will confirm as much. Has anyone used this method?

I'm not sure where you live (maybe space heaters are a bigger issue in your state..) but this sounds extreme to me. I can understand coal, wood or pellet stoves that could result in a surcharge etc...but an electric space heater doesn't seem to be a big deal. Is this a primary home? If it's like a secondary cabin w/ no utilities & only a space heater for heat...then I could understand that.

It seems extreme. You could always go out and buy another space heater after getting rid of the old one. I bet the big concern is the old space heaters were very unsafe. Mostly because people will turn them on and then leave the room. If they fall over, they can easily catch the carpet or surrounding materials on fire. I believe the newer models are much better, but you still can't *** proof the world.

Back