Homeowners Insurance / HOA Condo Insurance

Chucky0006

Hi all,

Seeking some advice on what to do. recently I had a dishwasher fail in a Condo. water leaked under floors and lower cabinets. of course, I have homeowners insurance and HOA insurance through Condo Association. I have had adjusters come from both agencies. I have submitted proposal from contractors for needed repairs. yet, both insurance adjusters are claiming to be reviewing by-laws for who is responsible for repairs. it has been 2 weeks neither can come to a determination??? what should I do next?? it was always been my understand that my homeowners would be responsible for anything on my interior 4 walls and HOA insurance would be windows, siding, roof, exterior 4 walls / repairs etc.. is this a normal delay ? just looking for advice to get this process moving so I can get my condo back to where it once was and functioning!! thank you for any advice

In my 9 year reign as a property claims adjuster, before I retired, I handled hundreds of condo water damage claims. They are complicated because CC&Rs are written in legalese and the definition of "unit" is sometimes difficult to analyze.

Have you read your CC&Rs and discovered the definition of "unit"? If you haven't, I suggest you do so ASAP so you can speak intelligently to the adjusters about the issue.

Two weeks is not abnormal for condo water damage claims to be reviewed by adjusters.

If the adjusters have already seen and photographed the damage you are free to begin the repairs and pay out of pocket along the way. Then deal with reimbursement later.

If you want to upload your estimates and your CC&Rs I may be able to give you some helpful comments.

Thank you for response Jack,

this leads to my second question. Being an owner and not a renter. I am free to make whatever fixes need to be made without penalty. I was worried if I start Reno prior to receiving payment from insurance that it could somehow alter what they pay towards my contractors repairs or come in way under what is needed to make repairs.

Yes, it's possible that the adjuster's estimate could come in lower than the contractor's estimate. Insurance estimating software purports to be up to date on labor and materials adjusted for location. Contractors' estimates can be all over the map.

Do you know what the deductible is on the master policy? Does your Condo policy have a rider to cover the deductible? Have you changed the cabinets or flooring, or is it original to the unit?

Thank you for response Jack,

this leads to my second question. Being an owner and not a renter. I am free to make whatever fixes need to be made without penalty. I was worried if I start Reno prior to receiving payment from insurance that it could somehow alter what they pay towards my contractors repairs or come in way under what is needed to make repairs.

I would caution a bit on making repairs & ask the adjustors what you can do. Both the HO carrier or the Condo insurance carrier could want to inspect the dishwasher more in hopes they could subrogate against the manufacturer or the installer if their product caused the malfunction & damage. Some states cancel rights to subrogate if the other party doesnt have a chance to inspect to defend themselves as to if their product or their work caused the damage.

Condos can be complicated & added delays because it is rarely clear as to who owns or is responsible for exactly what. Some condos CCRs are so poorly written they say the unit owner is responsible for anything over the original model unit...............well how are you supposed to know what the original model unit was 30 years ago if you are the 5th owner

PS---I have had 4 water damage claims over about 20 years in which an icemaker malfunctioned, a water filter, a garage freeze proof spigot & a dishwasher. Always sucks for sure, but sometimes if the insurance company collects through subrogation for the at fault manufacturer/installer, you get a check back in a year or 2 for some or all of your deductible based on how much is received in subrogation

Back