Homeowner's Policy Cancelled

polarvortex

I purchased a new home 2 months ago. After purchasing the policy I tried to contact my agent many times to switch my autos and condo policies over to this company but got no response from him. I found it odd that he didn't want my business but thinking it was the holidays I didn't think too much about it at the time. A few days ago I received a letter from the company stating the said agent was no longer with the company and I had been assigned a new agent.

Two days later i received another letter my policy is being cancelled because two pictures of front and back of the house were not provided. It turns out after talking to the customer service department and my new agent the original agent was fired and he was supposed to take the photos. The new agent did not receive any customer records from the old agent. Now I have taken the photos and sent them so their underwriter can review them. I am really concerned and upset this happened and if I have to, the prospect of obtaining a new policy from a different company look very expensive if this makes it on my record. I should mention the house is in excellent condition in a good neighborhood and I have no claim history ever. The letter simply states two photos of the dwelling were not provided. What are my options? They have no record of requesting the photos from me. I would have provided them right away if I knew they needed them.

Unfortunate situation that you're in. Sounds like the company you're currently insured with only has one option of insuring you. I'd look into an independent agent that has multiple companies to shop your rate through. Multiple companies mean a chance for a better rate than your current fiasco to begin with.

Thanks for the reply. How do I prevent this company from reporting this to the CLUE database? I strongly feel this is not my fault and their incompetence led to this fiasco. Can they really cancel anyone's insurance because their agent didn't do his job? I want to dispute this so it doesn't go on my record which will inhibit what other companies are willing to insure my property?

The policy didn't cancel; it was just set to cancel. It's really not a bid deal and that is not reported to CLUE anyways. Just take the pics and send them in.

What's the difference between it didn't cancel, it was just set to cancel? In the end they are cancelling my policy for negligence of their former employee. Are you saying I can go to any other insurer to buy a new policy and they won't know my existing policy was "set" to cancel?

The policy will be reinstated, no lapse, if the conditions are met. This is a normal process with insurance because they have to give legal notice. They start that when they send the letter.

Send in the pictures and request reinstatement. Not a big issue.

Dan

Back