Homesite Insurance Company

Anyone hear of Homesite Ins. Co?

I went through GEICO and it seems they farm out to Homesite, as does Progressive and others for Homeowner's.

They were about 30% cheaper than my present policy with Encompass.

I went online and there were a ton of complaints from policyholders about not paying legtimate claims. I understand that most posters will only report complaints and not good service.

In addition, they are not rated by AMBest, which raises a red flag for me.

Preferably looking for a NYS based company.

Anyone hear of Homesite Ins. Co?

I went through GEICO and it seems they farm out to Homesite, as does Progressive and others for Homeowner's.

They were about 30% cheaper than my present policy with Encompass.

I went online and there were a ton of complaints from policyholders about not paying legtimate claims. I understand that most posters will only report complaints and not good service.

In addition, they are not rated by AMBest, which raises a red flag for me.

Preferably looking for a NYS based company.

There are tons of complaints online for most companies, but in the case of Homesite, I would listen to them. I don't usually condemn insurance companies, since most companies have pros and cons, but Homesite is an exception. I'm sure if you keep shopping, you can find a better company saving you as much money.

Geico uses homesite for their house policies, I tend to think Homesite is a sub-standard house carrier/policy.

if a company is 30% cheaper, that alone should chase people away.

I have my homeowners with them through Progressive. I wont know until I ever have a claim if they suck or not.

Progressive in my state now uses ASI, not sure why, but I like ASI

Progressive in my state now uses ASI, not sure why, but I like ASI

Progressive uses ASI here as well and they use it for GEICO, too, I think. Not as good as a Kemper or Safeco HO3 but it'll get the job done for clients that want a no-frills policy.Good credit, newer home, etc. They also offer a discount for Progressive and GEICO people and Progressive will offer a discount as well if you have ASI.

I had two homes insured by Homesite thanks to Progressive Home Advantage. My first policy was cancelled because I was not residing in the insured property. I was offered the option of remaining insured with no coverage for thirteen months so that I could have enough time to find another insurance provider and so Homesite would not have to refund a renewal premium payment that was paid 52 days before the renewal date. Homesite took 183 days to refund unused premiums, they attempted to prorate the renewal payment for the upcoming year even though it was paid in advance. Homesite would also reinstate this policy three times after they received a certified letter indicating the policy was to be cancelled and after I received full reimbursement. I cancelled my second policy for my new home during my second year of coverage, the renewal increase for 2011 was 42% and 46% in 2012. I sent Homesite a certified letter indicating that the policy was not going to be renewed due to the excessive premium increase. The increase for 2012 was $653! Homesite would send five reinstatement letters between June and September of 2012 for this policy. I contacted them via telephone and certified letter reiterating that the policy was cancelled, effective July 1, 2012.
Today, I received a notice from Progressive indicating that I had to fill out a home evaluation questionaire so that Homesite could determine the cost of repairs for my home in the event of a loss. After contacting Progressive, I was transferred to Homesite where a woman by the name of Sarah informed me that I did in fact have an active policy with Homesite. She would further explain that the policy did get cancelled due to non-payment at the time of renewal, to keep from having a lapse in coverage, Homsite went ahead and billed my escrow account directly, this way is easier, she added. It sure is, I pay them for a policy that I cancelled, they don't have to send me a bill, a renewal statement, or an updated policy every year and they do this with out my knowledge. Stay away from Homesite, they provide poor claims service, they will increase annual premiums regardless of your claim history, and they will do everything in their power to make a profit, even fraud.

Last edited:
Read the fine print. Encompass has one of the best homeowners policies on the market. If you have a total loss it could cost you 6 figures. Unless you have special or special value.

Back