Honest & Cheap Car Ins in Florida

Hello,
This is my first post on the Car Ins. Forum as I usually deal with the Final Expense Forum.
I have been with Geico for the past 18 years. Now I want to get rid of them. I had 2 vehicles and just sold one of them. So they raise the premium on the remaining vehicle to damn near what I was paying for both of them before.

Can anyone out there give me some help please. I have a very clean record.
I picked out a few of the big name insurers because a long time ago I signed with a fly by night outfit because I knew the guy-- but when I did get in an accident I played hell getting paid from them.

I started making a list-- Amico--Liberty Mutual--Guardian--Mercury--Travelers--and maybe State Farm. I would rather deal direct with the Insurance Company rather than agent.

I would certainly appreciate any help you guys can give and if you cannot make outright recommendations on the Forum please PM me.

Thank you,

I would rather deal direct with the Insurance Company rather than agent.,

The agents here make their money by selling the insurance, so if you want to go direct I think they would collectively tell you to go for it, but I wouldn't expect to get help from a group of people you're basically asking to help you without any chance of getting paid.

An independent broker/agent will almost always beat the rate of a captive agency (like the ones you are mentioning), however the customer service and claims department (like you said) maybe an incentive.

Other than that, paid in full makes for the biggest discount, then automatic payments, then bill by mail. I am not sure what coverages you have right now, however, towing and rental coverage is so cheap you might as well get that if you don't have it.

Also, under and uninsured coverages are usually very affordable and will give you coverage if you are in an accident with a person that has less than adequate coverage or someone who doesn't have coverage at all.

The agents here make their money by selling the insurance, so if you want to go direct I think they would collectively tell you to go for it, but I wouldn't expect to get help from a group of people you're basically asking to help you without any chance of getting paid.

Josh, You are right. It would be like me giving a quote to someone & then they call the company direct & sign up.
All I want is the Basic required Ins for Florida. Here is what I have now:

2001 Chevy Astro Van
Bodily Injury Liability
Each Person/ Each Occurrence 10,000/20,000

Property Liability 25,000

Personal Injury Protection
Work Loss Excluded For Insd & Rel Option 0/500
Ded/Insd&Rel

Uninsured Motorist/ Nonstached
each person/each Occurance $10,000/$20,000

Comprehensive $250 Ded
Collision $500 Ded

All kinds of Discounts

If there are any Florida Agents out there who want to give me quote, please PM me with your telephone.

So you're unhappy with one direct writer, so you want to go to another.

OK.

You're free to do whatever you want, of course, but you tell me: who will give you better advice, some completely replaceable guy working in a call center hoping to make his monthly quota for a single company, or someone who has spent years as a professional advisor to individuals and families on their insurance needs? Just so you know, guy #1 is still making a commission off you.

If you just want state minimum coverage, I hope you don't own anything in the world besides your car, because you may be making a poor decision.

Also, just so you know it's a legit thing that happens, I've seen it occur that a policyholder that has two vehicles - one with extensive coverage and the other with only liability - have a multi-car discount that is greater than the premium for the second car.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Something does not smell right to me.

You say that you sold one of your cars and the carrier raised the premium on the remaining car to almost what you were paying for two. In addition, you have a very clean record.

That does not feel right to me. Is there anything else?

You can't drive 2 cars at once so the premium for 2 is substantially lower than double the cost of one.

Your liability limits are grossly inadequate. There are MANY agents that will turn your business away because they have minimum limits standards and won't write liability without equally high UM limits. This isn't because of lower commission but because of lawsuits from customers with minimum limits who cause serious accidents.

The higher the liability limits, the cheaper the cost of coverage. Do you want to have your pay garnished at 25% for 20 years because you wanted to save $200 on car insurance?

Your liability limits are grossly inadequate. There are MANY agents that will turn your business away because they have minimum limits standards and won't write liability without equally high UM limits. This isn't because of lower commission but because of lawsuits from customers with minimum limits who cause serious accidents.

The higher the liability limits, the cheaper the cost of coverage. Do you want to have your pay garnished at 25% for 20 years because you wanted to save $200 on car insurance?

This.

Your current limits are irresponsible.

So you can self insure the liability portion and cause everybody else on the road massive headaches with your ridiculously low liability limits, but your unwilling to self insure a 2001 astro van?

What do you folks expect? Geico in Florida is allowed to solicit without an insurance license. I asked the commissioner's office in Tallahassee why can they pass out business cards with marketing rep printed on them. Their response: well as long as they aren't selling insurance they're allowed to give out cards?!?! I said to hell with the tough states exam....I might as well hire a hooker with 36d cups and a mini skirt to pass my cards out. What a mockery. Total bull...to top it off, most of the customers with Geico say "I have full coverage" and they don't even have bodily liability on their policy. I asked a Geico rep (not an agent) why....he says well we don't have to explain coverages!

Back