Hospital Stay December 31 - January 1

danda

My wife was recently hospitalized for the birth of our first born. I have an Aetna High Deductible insurance plan. She got an epidural around 1130pm on December 31 and then gave birth at 5am the following morning and stayed in the hospital a couple days. The hospital sent two separate bills, dated 12/31 and 1/1, which resulted in me being held accountable for the $3,000 deductible in both calendar years. Is this something I can work out with the hospital (to send everything in a single bill in 2015? or even better 2014?)

Hopefully this question is in the right place.

Too bad she didn't have your child on the 31st, you could have claimed him on your 2014 taxes too.

The hospital cannot bill separately like that, she began her stay on 12/31, they can only bill in January if she was readmitted.

The hospital cannot bill separately like that, she began her stay on 12/31, they can only bill in January if she was readmitted.

I see this as a bookkeeping maneuver. Whether they can do it or not is moot. Without carryover deductible (and I don't believe it exists anymore since all Obamacare plans terminate 12/31) the OP has to satisfy 2 deductibles.

Back