Hospital Won't File Newborn and Mother Separate

scorpio_2049

My wife had our first daughter in September. She's covered under my wife's insurance for the first month. The baby's hospital stay was filed and my wife's insurance paid what it would and left us to pay the remaining $3,500.

We also purchased insurance for my daughter under my plan beginning on the date of her birth. I've called the hospital to ask them to file my daughter under my insurance as well but they said they would only file her under the mother's insurance. However they did file the pediatrician's routine visit while my daughter was in the nursery to my insurance and it was accepted. So my question is: is that legal or whatever for them to not file the baby separately from the mother? I paid for insurance with the intention of it covering my daughter's medical bills.

My wife had our first daughter in September. She's covered under my wife's insurance for the first month. .......We also purchased insurance for my daughter under my plan beginning on the date of her birth. ..........

So my question is: is that legal or whatever for them to not file the baby separately from the mother? I paid for insurance with the intention of it covering my daughter's medical bills.

no you are double filing......at best the two insurance company's should split the bill on the kid.......

Ok. I didn't set out to have two policies. Initially the hospital didn't seem like it accepted my daughter as a newborn on my wife's policy. I applied for medicaid for her but it was taking forever to get accepted or rejected so I had to go ahead and purchase insurance. Then the hospital decided it would file my daughter and wife together. So my daughter was covered for the first month under my wife's policy and from birth until now under the one I purchased.

I just got the rejection letter from Medicaid yesterday. We were rejected because we didn't attend the meetings with an agent that nobody told us we had. I'm not going to contest it because I don't feel like dealing with them.

Call the company that has your daughter's policy, get a claim form, fill it out and submit it with the bill for $3500. The hospital isn't going to bill the same claim twice.

Back