Hospitals dropping Medicare Advantage agreements leaves patients in lurch

Hospitals lose money on Medicaid. The only way they can stay in business is to have a significant % of people with real insurance and pay their OOP.

Rural areas lose manufacturers, unemployment skyrockets, hospitals close.

This isn't just a GA problem.

A Sense of Alarm as Rural Hospitals Keep Closing

Nearly 700 rural hospitals at risk of closing - NRHA

DC cut DSH funding because in their mind hospitals would not need those $$ since everyone was going to have health insurance. What an ego trip.

DC cut DSH funding because in their mind hospitals would not need those $$ since everyone was going to have health insurance. What an ego trip.
Health treatment in the US is comprehensively asystematic, and for too many stakeholders, that's a feature, not a bug. Favor transactions, & you'll get them, & "everyone" pays a premium for the friction they produce -- until more & more stop paying money, & "everyone" starts paying in foreclosed health infrastructure & foregone health treatment.

Health treatment in the US is comprehensively asystematic, and for too many stakeholders, that's a feature, not a bug. Favor transactions, & you'll get them, & "everyone" pays a premium for the friction they produce -- until more & more stop paying money, & "everyone" starts paying in foreclosed health infrastructure & foregone health treatment.

My Google translator is still spinning over that one.

I don't know what the friction thing means, but it seems to me that in a nation of individuals, transactions are the system.

uhhh.....yes.
Transactions are the basis for the system. Chopping logs, miss the log and hit your foot, call the doctor, he rides over and removes the axehead, wraps you up and gives you morphine and you give him a chicken or half the milk from your cow for the next 6 months. A transaction. The doctors got overstocked on chickens and voted for money. But there is still a transaction at the beginning.

health is not soup (sorry, chicken soup - that's the way it is).

Health is something most folks have to work for, take personal responsibility, you know, be an adult.

Unfortunately too much of the adult population treats health, and food in particular, like a buffet. Eat and drink all you want for tomorrow you may die. In the interim, you can take a pill for the symptoms but pills and potions are rarely a cure. And certainly no substitute for adopting a healthy lifestyle.

You are the stat guy and can probably find this somewhere. But I recall reading somewhere that 70% of disease is caused by lifestyle and 80% could be prevented or reversed with lifestyle changes.

I believe Dr Schweitzer posted it on his Facebook page.

Back